8 nights in Switzerland- July 5-13 itinerary ideas

• Mmnafletcher
    Participant
    22 posts
    1 June 2022 at 21:09:43 #827384

Hi! We are visiting Switzerland for the first time as a family of four (2 adult boys- 18 & 20) and finally cementing our plans!

So far we have these plans:

Fly into Zurich train to Lucerne

Lucerne 2 nights- ideas – Mt.Pilatus self-guided tour, Lake Lucerne boat trip, Cabrio cableway, Rheinfall

Lauterbrunnen 3 nights- ideas- First Flyer, First Cliff walk, Trummelbach Falls, other hikes…

We will then have 3 nights left and are considering Zermatt or a town near Lake Como/Italy border

Would love any and all suggestions/ideas! Our flight leaves at 1:15 pm so wherever we stay needs to be a doable trip to the airport so maybe we should just stay 2 nights in either town and spend the last night near Zurich- maybe back to Lucerne??

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2022 at 0:16:39 #942728

To stay within range of Zurich airport it is worth considering Canton Graubunden: loads of things to see and do eg St Moritz, Davos-Klosters, Engadine, Swiss National Park (bus from Zernez),. Even though Graubunden looks ‘out of the way’ geographically, it is actually not very long journey back to Zurich. I stayed near Klosters in February 2020 (just before the pandemic ‘shut down’) and we easily got from the hotel to London in the day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2022 at 19:05:46 #942729

Hi Mmnafletcher,

if your flight leaves in the early afternoon, I recommend a hotel near the airport (or a hotel in Zurich).

1960mans’s idea of Graubünden is great advice.

Canton Ticino would be also nice as the Italian part of Switzerland is so different from the French and German speaking part – in my opinion.

And I also love Zermatt. 🙂

To be honest, you cannot go wrong with any of these options. If you would like to see more mountains – Zermatt or Graubünden. If you are fancy for lake and Italian spirit – Ticino.

Ildiko

Mmnafletcher
    Participant
    22 posts
    2 June 2022 at 21:01:21 #942730

Great ideas! Thank you! I like the idea of Ticino. My family would like to see an Italian part of Switzerland. Is there a town you recommend with reasonable accommodations and convenient for train travel- we won’t have a car.

Anna
    6382 posts
    3 June 2022 at 6:49:51 #942731

Hi Mmnafletcher,

I think Lugano would be a good base to explore the Ticino region.

Here’s a sample one day trip: http://www.myswissalps.com/onedayticino

You can find more sightseeing options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lugano/activities

Hotel options are available here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lugano/hotels

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘8 nights in Switzerland- July 5-13 itinerary ideas’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.