9 day itinerary Aug 2016. Suggestions please.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2016 at 8:01:33 #853592

Thank you so much Arno.

Can anybody plz suggest what to do for a half day in St.Moritz as we reach by afternoon from interlaken ? So manybmountain railwaysn cable cars…..confused as to which is doable in half day………. Next day we are doing Bernina express to Tirano n back after a small break at Poshiavo…..any suggestions for that are welcome too……

Annika
    7115 posts
    12 July 2016 at 10:46:09 #853593

Hi Hetal,

All information about the Bernina Express can be found here. As for half a day in St. Moritz: if you like scenic cable car rides, there are lots of options indeed. I’m not sure if you’ll be spending 1 or 2 nights in St. Moritz. If it’s two, you’ll probably get to profit from the free mountain excursions offered by your hotel. In that case I’d recommend Piz Nair or Muottas Muragl. Both are close to St. Moritz (the ride up to Piz Nair even starts in the town centre of St. Moritz) and offer great views. If you spend only 1 night in St. Moritz, you won’t be able to use this offer. In that case I’d recommend Corvatsch, as that’s discounted with your Swiss Travel Pass.

A train ride to Morteratsch, plus a walk towards the glacier, is another option. That’s partly the same route you’ll be doing the next day though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2016 at 11:04:57 #853594

Hi Annika,

So useful tips,as usual…cant thank enough.

Yes I decided to do St.Moritz to Tirano and back via Poshiavo on Bernina after going through the link here in detail only, a month back. Very nicely explained.

I am staying in St.Moritz for two nights and my hotel is in the list of participating hotels so would get free ride but was confused. Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2016 at 12:54:30 #853595

Hi everyone

Have bought Swiss travel pass. Now trying to book Jungfraouch tickets…… from Grindlewald to jungfraouch and return jungfraouch to wengen but …..they ask for date. Would the booking be valid only for that date ? From where can buy open ticket that can be used on any of the four days of my stay in interlaken?

Arno
    15478 posts
    12 July 2016 at 13:18:57 #853596

Hi Hetal,

Whether the ticket is only valid for that date should be explained by the site your are buying from. Sometimes it’s valid for 6 months from the selected date, but they should clearly explain that. If you don’t have a fixed date for your trip you’d best buy the ticket locally. Please see myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch/tickets for further details.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 July 2016 at 13:26:54 #853597

Hi Hetal –

Unless you have special reasons to buy in advance, it is best to buy on the day before. Otherwise, you may have non-refundable tickets to see the inside of a lot of clouds. The weather changes rapidly…one day may be good in the morning and bad in the afternoon, and the next day the opposite. Check locally; they watch the weather closely.

August is a busy month….might ask Arno’s opinion on whether the trains will be full.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2016 at 16:04:06 #853598

Hi

I agree Slowpoke. You raised the right point. That is why the confusion……weather vs crowd….not only that trains are full, but atleast ticket counters would be too crowded.

Arno plz reply

Arno
    15478 posts
    12 July 2016 at 16:33:59 #853599

Hi Hetal,

Buying on the day before as Slowpoke suggested is good advice. The weather forecast will be pretty reliable by then. Buying on the day itself would usually work as well, but in August it can be tricky if it’s a beautiful day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2016 at 6:21:39 #853600

Hi. We went to the falls yesterday and also fitted in a trip to Stein am Rhein. We caught the 8.35 train from Zurich to Schaffhausen and did the city walking tour and had morning tea/lunch and then caught the bus to the falls at 10.24am. We walked to the lower part of the falls and then all the way to the castle. We also walked down to the lower viewing area and through the castle museum. We left Schaffhausen at 3.01pm. You could do the trip and only go to the upper part of the falls. It’s really worth seeing.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 July 2016 at 7:16:42 #853601

<<“It’s really worth seeing.”>

Certainly.

But compared to other choices, what criteria do you use to make that choice? Is it better than Pilatus, for example?

Slowpoke

Annika
    7115 posts
    16 July 2016 at 9:13:39 #853602

Hi Jacquienco!

Thanks for sharing your travel experiences with Hetal! Good to hear you’ve managed to combine the Rhine Falls trip with a visit to Stein am Rhein from Zurich and that you enjoyed it. Assuming you’re still in Switzerland: enjoy the rest of your stay, have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2016 at 9:45:03 #853603

Hi

Thanks Jacquino for the details. I know Slowpoke doesnt like Rhinefalls much….relatively….But we are going to be in Austrian as well as swiss alps so would skip Pilatus for Rhinefalls.

Thanks all

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 July 2016 at 18:28:02 #853604

Hi Hetal-

<<“I know Slowpoke doesnt like Rhinefalls much….relatively..”>>

Relatively is the correct word. 😉

However, Luzern is not just mountains.

Here are a few pictures, and there are many more in the long thread about the southern part of Lake Lucerne:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

Slowpoke

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The thread ‘9 day itinerary Aug 2016. Suggestions please.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.