Zermatt and Interlaken 9 day trip mid September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2019 at 0:19:57 #822207

Hi there !

I am travelling to Switzerland on September 12-22(9 days ) arriving in Zurich . What would be the best option to do after my arrival in Zurich ?

Option A take train directly to Zermatt and spend three days there ?then back to Interlaken for three -4 days ? to hike Klein Scheidegg , First ,Lautenbrunnen , Grindelwald ,Murren and Wengen. Should I base in Interlacken or Wengen?

Option B From Zurich to Interlaken for three to four days ? to hike then to Zermatt for three days ?

1. Will 3 days enough for these places ? I have a total of 9 solid days . Will I also be able to do the bernina express to logano for a day ?

2. will 8 days Swiss pass cover my trains to these places from and to Zurich to catch my flight back?

I would appreciate any suggestion in the forum .

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    12 June 2019 at 10:43:23 #914869

I can partially reply your questions. Yes 8 days Swiss Travel Pass will cover your train travels. You need to buy Mountain train / cable car tickets. You will get discount from 25%-50% with Swiss Pass

I briefly wrote experience on my travel blog http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-switzerland-may-2017 and see if it is helpful to you

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 June 2019 at 14:25:43 #914870

Hi Alvinandaya7,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Option A and B are similar apart from the order. Perhaps your arrival time may favor one over the other. Train schedules can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

1. You can easily spend a week in Zermatt and three in Interlaken, and still not see everything in the area. Having said that, 9 days is a good amount to split between both destinations and have a great time. The Bernina Express is in a different part of the country.

2. Yes, and discount for cable cars as Shroffchetan says. Please find details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2019 at 15:16:29 #914871

Thank you so much !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2019 at 15:18:30 #914872

Thank you so much ! Doing mostly hiking and reeking within the 9 days but would love to experience the glacier express I mean . Can you do a return or a day glacier express train ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 June 2019 at 18:21:44 #914873

You’re welcome! That’s not easy without spending at least one night in St. Moritz or perhaps Chur. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress. If you do, I guess it’s best at the end of your trip, after Zermatt.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2019 at 14:36:17 #914874

Hi there,

I saw this post earlier and thought that I would get some advice. We are planning to travel in Sept also (19-27), arriving in Zurich from Singapore and leaving from Paris. We are a family of 3 (with a 13 months old baby) and planning to spend 6 solid days in Switz before going to Paris for the rests of the trip.

We have a rough plan to visit Zermatt and Interlaken before taking train to Paris from Geneva. We are also thinking to rent a car to go around. Can I have some opinion/advice on this itinerary? Any tips are also welcome as this is our first Europe trip and with a baby as well.

Thank you!

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 June 2019 at 14:48:37 #914875

Hi Mncnath,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! You can best post your questions in a new thread for more and better responses. A few tips to get started:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2019 at 15:04:33 #914876

I want to keep my other options open and want my 9 day trip to be flexible . Do I have to reserve hostels before hand or I can just walk in on that day?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2019 at 15:17:22 #914877

Hi Arno,

Thanks for the tips! I will create a new post and start from there. 🙂

• The thread ‘Zermatt and Interlaken 9 day trip mid September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.