9 day Switzerland itinerary in September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2019 at 16:51:53 #822824

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are travelling to Switzerland for 9 days from 12 Sep to 21 Sep. Below is the draft itinerary , it looks very busy now. It will be really helpful if people can advise me on how to get this better. Some questions I am pondering are:

1. we are travelling to Montreax only for the castle, can we skip this altogether?

2. Is there a way that we can fit in Zweissman and Gstaad?

3. Are we seeing enough stuff in our trip. I suffer from FOMO!(fear of missing out, so have included probably more)

4. Which travel pass will be the best for us? I am tired of doing the math between the half fare card and swiss travel card.

I have also attached my itinerary in Excel and summarised it below in words. Feel free to let me know if you require further information. Thanks a ton!

Day 1 Thursday 12-Sep Lucern Mount Pilatus Land in Zurich at 6.15AM, freshen up in airport, buy train passes, and sim card and leave airport by 9AM for Lucern. Deposit baggage at Lucern hotel and leave for Mount Pilatus at 12 noon. Take the golden ticket including boating. Back in evening and do possible Lucern sightseeing in evening

Day 2 Friday 13-Sep Lucern Lucerne, Mount Titlus Leave at 8am from Lucerne for Mount Titlis and return to Lucerne by 3PM, 3.15 PM free walking tour (tentative) and Lucern sightseing

Day 3 Saturday 14-Sep Wengen Lucerne to Wengen to Jungfraujoch and then to Murren, Schiltorn and Gimmelwand – Get down at Birg for Schiltorn. Do the thrill walk in Schiltorn.Visit the restaurant in Schiltorn Leave at 9AM from Lucerne, keep luggage at Wengen hotel and see the nearby villages

Day 4 Sunday 15-Sep Wengen Wengen to Grindelwald Leave early at 8AM for Jungfraujoch- In 1st half and then Grindelwald first in 2nd half

Day 5 Monday 16-Sep Wengen Wengen to Interlaken Leave Wengen by 9am for Interlaken and spend day at Interlaken in adventure activities, sight seeing and shopping. Go to lake Thun and Harder Kulm if time permits

Day 6 Tuesday 17-Sep Broc Lauterbrunnen to Montreaux (Chillon Castle) and then to Maison Cailler and Maison Du Gruyere

Wednesday 18-Sep Bern Broc to Bern Full day sightseeing at Bern

Day 7 Thursday 19-Sep Bern Bern to Zermatt and Matterhorn Leave by 8 am to Zermatt to see the Matterhorn in first half and then to Zweisimmen for DDLJ shooting spots

Day 8 Friday 20-Sep Zurich Bern to Zurich Sight seeing at Zurich

Day 9 Saturday 21-Sep Flight Flight to Dubai at noon

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 July 2019 at 3:00:45 #917690

Hello Sidgoog and Welcome to MySwissAlps

1. we are travelling to Montreax only for the castle, can we skip this altogether?

That’s a purely personal choice but I wonder why you plan to overnight in Broc when you are not that far from Bern. You could avoid another hotel swap.

2. Is there a way that we can fit in Zweissman and Gstaad?

You can stop there on the way to Montreux but I’m not sure why you would bother unless you planned to visit Glacier 3000 from Gstaad. Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel and understand what duration of travel you are comfortable with.

3. Are we seeing enough stuff in our trip. I suffer from FOMO!(fear of missing out, so have included probably more)

You can never see everything so you just have to apply some personal priorities and then come back for another visit to see the things you missed.

4. Which travel pass will be the best for us? I am tired of doing the math between the half fare card and swiss travel card.

Just get an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass and avoid further headaches and the hassle of having to buy tickets everyday.

Annika
    7125 posts
    15 July 2019 at 9:59:38 #917691

Hi Sidgoog! I fully agree with Rockoyster’s answers above. You just can’t see and do it all in an 8 day trip. You did manage to include quite some beautiful towns and mountain tops though, so don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. And if you’re tired of doing the math, then by all means get an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass. It’s definitely the easiest solution: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass.

Your schedule is ambitious indeed, especially on day 1. You seem to want to get passes and sim cards after arrival as well, correct? I would advise to arrange for them in advance online, as that will surely save time. And, more important, you’ll have an electronic PDF backup on your mobile phone when getting print at home Swiss Travel Passes, which is convenient in case of loss or damage, and you won’t have this if you buy yourselves paper passes at a rail station desk. Please find purchase options below:

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 July 2019 at 10:03:33 #917692

For the best value data SIM you can’t go past shop.salt.ch/en/plans/ prepay/

The actual offer may be hidden behind a 50% discount pop up which you have to dismiss to see the real deal. Hit the “X” at top right hand corner of the pop up.

It is not officially endorsed by MySwissAlps but I used this SIM when I visited last year and found it great value. We have reports of another member sending weather reports to the forum from the top of Schilthorn using that SIM.

CHF19.95 (when I used this SIM in 2017 it was only CHF10 but still great value) gets you 10 days unlimited high-speed data (assuming you use it only for data and not calls as well).

Make sure your phone is not locked to your home provider. If it is then the Traveller’s WiFi is the go. See http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard.

There is a Salt shop at Zurich airport but also at least one in Luzern so I’d suggest you buy it there.

• The thread ‘9 day Switzerland itinerary in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.