9 day trip to Switzerland from Montreux to Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2018 at 4:32:44 #815096

Hello All – Hope all is well with you. I am traveling to Switzerland from LA with my husband and my baby. Please let me know my tentative itinerary looks good and practical.

DAY 01: 06 JUL ARRIVE MONTREUX

Arrive Montreux – We will visit Chillon Castle

DAY 02: 07 JUL MONTREUX

Morning breakfast, visit to cheese and chocolate factory by Golden passline train. – Gruyeres Cheese Factory—Broc Fabrique Chocolate Factory—Hike to Gruyeres Chateau. We want to do all these 3 things.

DAY 03: 08 JUL MONTREUX – INTERLAKEN

DAY 04: 09 JUL INTERLAKEN – Today go for Jungfrau tour.

DAY 05: 10 JUL INTERLAKEN – Can we go to Bern and Thun? Do you think it is nice? What do you suggest?

DAY 06: 11 JUL INTERLAKEN- go to Mt. Titlis

DAY 07: 12 JUL INTERLAKEN-Lucerne – ZURICH

– I will check out from Interlaken hotel, go to Lucerne (can I store my luggage in Lucerne train station?). After we finish Lucerne we will go to Zurich

DAY 08: 13 JUL ZURICH

Rhine falls tour. Balance day at leisure.

DAY 09: 14 JUL ZURICH-BACK to LA

Morning breakfast, check out and transfer to airport.

SWISS RAIL PASS : 8 DAYS CONSECUTIVE ADULT

Please let me know if i am missing something or this itinerary doesnt look good.

Thank you so much in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 April 2018 at 6:33:46 #880680

Hello prijai and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Where are you coming from to arrive at Montreux? Flying in to Geneva?

Montreux to Interlaken go via Zweisimmen on the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass).

Yes, Bern and Thun are both nice to visit. Also boat cruises on Lake Thun and Lake Brienz.

Day 6 and 7 you will have 2 trips to Lucerne. You may consider moving to Lucerne for nights of 11 and 12 July then you could drop your bags off at hotel before doing Titlis on 11th and have a whole day in Lucerne on 12th.

How old is your infant? You just need to be mindful of potential altitude issues for a very small baby.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2018 at 5:09:22 #880681

Thank you so much for your response. It is very helpful.

1. I will be coming from Paris to Geneva to Montreux. Will take the golden pass line as suggested by you from Montreux to interlaken. Do i need to make reservation in advance or can I just use my swiss pass to travel on the golden pass line?
    2. I made my base at Interlaken as I have a baby so don’t want to keep changing hotels. She is 2 years old. I did not realize that the altitude might be a problem for her. Thank you soooo much. May be I stay back in Interlaken and enjoy locally while my family can go visit Titlis.
    3. I know Titlis and Lucerne is 2 days but just don’t want to change hotels. Do you think it is too much to go back and forth Day 6 and 7?
    4. How far is Bern and Thun from Interlaken?
    rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 April 2018 at 5:33:21 #880682

1. At that time of year it would be advisable to make reservations on the Golden Pass Line between Montreux and Zweisimmen. You can read how to do that at http://www.mob.ch/en/reservat ion-procedure.

2. A 2 year old should not be a problem. I thought you meant a tiny baby. But you might want to check with your doctor before you leave.

3. No it will be OK – just wantedd you to realise you will be doubling up on the same route and spending a fair bit of time on trains.

4. Thun is about 30 minutes from Interlaken and Bern a further 30 minutes from there. You can check the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to find out length of any journey.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2018 at 20:30:15 #880683

thank you sooo much. Realy appreciate your input.

• The thread ‘9 day trip to Switzerland from Montreux to Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.