9 o”clock Bernina Express rail ticket

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 22:00:06 #815490

Do I need another type of pass to take advantage of this ticket? In other words, when I select that option at online ticketing it shows 26 chf as the price. IS that it or do I need to buy some other card to show with that 9 o’clock ticket?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 April 2018 at 22:34:35 #883021

Hello JoArt and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

I’m not sure where you are seeing that but you do know that you need a reservation for the Bernina Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress), right? Perhaps you are looking at the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details)?

Full fare is CHF64 from Chur to Tirano and reservation is CHF10 or CHF14 on top (depends on date of travel).

If anything your fare sound like a reduced half-fare price so you would need at least a Swiss Half-fare Card to approach that price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 23:06:21 #883022

We are traveling from Pontresina to Tirano and back (same day) on the Bernina Express. When I book First Class tickets and go to the payment area, it has a drop down menu with a list of fares. One is the fare with the half off pass (158 chf for 2 people), but there is one fare on the drop down menu shown as “9 O’clock fare” (which means you have to take a train after 9 AM, and ours leaves at 9:52 AM). It prices at 56 chf for 2 people. But I can’t find anything that tells me if I have to have a particular type of pass to get that fare or if the 56 chf is all I pay. What do you think?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 April 2018 at 23:27:00 #883023

I’m pretty sure the 9 o’clock Pass has been superseded by the Saver Day Pass I mentioned above. Best price for that with Swiss Half-fare Card is CHF29 if you buy at the right time. That gets you free 2nd class travel for a day then you would need to buy a 1-day class upgrade or a route specific class upgrades if that worked out cheaper for your return trip. Then when you book the BEX nominate you have your own ticket and you’ll just get charged for the reservations.

Get’s a bit complicated and not sure how much you will actually save.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 0:48:03 #883024

Great info. I will look at the Saver Day Pass and see what prices out the best. Thanks for your help with this.

• The thread ‘9 o”clock Bernina Express rail ticket’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.