A few questions on the Swiss Rail Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2015 at 7:48:03 #807223

Hello all. I am a newbie to this forum so hopefully my questions make sense.

Firstly, I would like to know how long prior to using a Swiss Pass for the first time I can purchase it? I seem to remember something about six months but couldn’t find any supporting info.

Secondly, on the 8th day of our 8-day pass, we plan to travel from Brienz to Cinque Terre via Milano.

I have found one recommended route that suggests: Brienz –> Interlaken Ost –> Spiez –> Milano Centrale.

1. Is this the quickest route or are there better ways to get to Milan?

2. Assuming this is the best route, will the Swiss Pass cover us only to Spiez? Do we need to book a train from Spiez to Milano through TrenItalia?

Any help, suggestions or recommendations gratefully accepted.

Thank you in advance and best regards, Steve

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    15 May 2015 at 9:59:29 #843089

Hi Steve,

Welcome, and thanks for posting! A Swiss Travel Pass can usually be ordered 6 months in advance. Some resellers won’t send the pass until a few weeks before you need it, unless requested otherwise. So it’s a bit different per reseller. When do you plan to start traveling?

1. Yes, that’s the quickest route. The timetable will suggest that route if you request travel info.

2. The Swiss Travel Pass covers all of Switzerland, so you only need a ticket from the Italian border onwards (see the pass map). In this case, the border is Domodossola. You can buy the pass and the additional ticket on the same website in one order. In your case it’s the Australian website, please see here:

Further points of sale can be found here:

If you take a direct train from Spiez to Milan, you can order a “passholder” ticket from Spiez. It that case you have a seat reservation from Spiez, but don’t pay for the Swiss portion of the trip because that’s covered by your pass. This is not required, just an option. If you need more help, please let us know your travel date and time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2015 at 2:56:08 #843090

Hi Arno,

Thanks very much for the quick reply – sorry I am so late getting back to you.

Your information is exactly what I needed. I have never heard of the “passholder” ticket before. Can I only request that ticket through Swiss trains or does TrenItalia also allow the passholder ticket?

Regards, Steve

Arno
    15482 posts
    17 May 2015 at 13:33:41 #843091

Hi Steve,

You’re most welcome! I don’t think Trenitalia issues tickets for Swiss Travel Pass holders. I have not heard of that option yet. It’s much simper to get it through Rail Europe anyway, since you can order your pass there for a good price. That way it’s just one order and the ticket price should be the same, or perhaps less if you qualify for the extra discount.

The passholder ticket only makes sense if you take a train to Italy from Spiez. If you board the Italian train near the border, e.g. in Brig, you might as well get a regular ticket from Domodossola. If you do need the passholder ticket you can get it through http://www.raileurope.com.au/ #tab3, and select your pass there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2015 at 3:35:41 #843092

Hi Arno,

Thanks again for the update. Yes, our plan is to catch a train from Brienz to Monterosso (Cinque Terre). As far as I am aware this is possible via 3 changes: Interlaken Ost; Spiez and Milano Centrale. Therefore we would be taking a train to Italy from Spiez. I was originally going to simply buy a ticket from Spiez to Monterosso through Trenitalia, however if it will be cheaper to buy a Passholder ticket from raileurope, then I will certainly look at that option.

Thanks again for your help.

Arno
    15482 posts
    18 May 2015 at 15:11:25 #843093

Sounds good! In some cases you’ll need to change in Brig as well, but the 8:05 AM train from Spiez goes straight to Milan, for example. In that case the passholder ticket makes sense. In any case you don’t need a regular ticket from Spiez as your pass is valid all the way to Domodossola.

Have a good trip!

• The thread ‘A few questions on the Swiss Rail Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.