Adding Swiss Half Fare Card to SBB mobile app

• pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    31 July 2019 at 2:32:09 #823144

Anyone have any step by step instructions to do this? About the only place I can find that I might be able to add it is under My Travelcards. I have checked the box for the HFC but when I go to Swisspass.ch to add it, it asks for a customer number which I do not have.

There is another place on the app called My Swisspass which pretty much ends up in the same place.

Is there not a way to get the HFC on my phone so I don’t have to have the paper print out in my pocket all the time?

Thanks!

• Annika
    7142 posts
    31 July 2019 at 5:12:21 #918985

Hi pkerr!

Even if you don’t add the card to the app, you can still pick half fare tickets for each trip: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/howtouse. And without the app you can buy half fare tickets online: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerlandhalffare/price. Or at the station.

The Swiss timetable, including the app, is mostly designed for Swiss residents. They can add digital passes on their SwissPass account, which you don’t need. One of those passes for residents is the Half-Fare Travelcard, which resembles the tourist 1 month Swiss Half Fare Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard) but isn’t exactly the same. You can’t add your Swiss Half Fare Card to the app, but you can add the Half-Fare travelcard, which will work fine for domestic trips. To do so, go to Settings, Travelers, and edit the traveler.

As for the Swiss Half Fare Card itself: just print the paper pass after buying it from one of the retailers at http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/price, and carry it along. It’s convenient to also have a PDF back-up ready on your mobile phone. Showing either the mobile PDF or the paper pass will work.

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 July 2019 at 6:00:09 #918986

In the SBB app go Settings -> Travellers -> Edit -> Select Half-fare travelcard (1/2) -> Save (for each co-traveller).

You will then auomaticellay be presented with the half-fare tiicket price and can buy tickets for use with a Swiss Half-Fare Card.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    31 July 2019 at 13:50:48 #918987

Thanks for that tip which I have done… I was just wondering if there was a way to get the HFC document into SBB which appears that there isn’t.

And while we are on the subject of the SBB mobile app… even though it’s mainly for Swiss residents, I’m assuming I can still buy tickets through the app? the reason I ask is that when I tried to by the HFC via the SBB WEB site I kept getting an error trying to purchase. When I went to a 3rd party retailer (Switzerland Travel Centre) it was no problem.

Thanks!

Annika
    7142 posts
    31 July 2019 at 17:05:53 #918988

Hi pkerr! Yes, theoretically you should be able to buy discounted tickets using the SBB website, but payment problems with foreign credit cards are a common issue there. Maybe that’s what went wrong. I’m not sure if the same problems arise if you try their mobile app instead. There are alternatives, such as the ones listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland halffare/price.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    31 July 2019 at 17:48:39 #918989

If I’m able to buy my train tickets on the SBB mobile app then should those go right on my phone?

Thanks

Arno
    15492 posts
    31 July 2019 at 17:55:05 #918990

Hi pkerr,

If you buy through the app then that’s where the tickets are stored, yes. If you buy from any other website, you will receive a PDF document that you can store anywhere, including your phone, and you can print it too.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    31 July 2019 at 20:00:39 #918991

Thanks everyone for the very helpful information. 23 days until departure!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 July 2019 at 21:06:28 #918992

Providing you logon to the SBB website using the same login as the mobile app then tickets bought from the SBB website shop are also available in the app.

Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    4 August 2019 at 11:22:26 #918993

Hey pkerr, we are also leaving in 3 weeks; can’t wait!

FYI I upgraded to first class for the Glacier Express on the SBB app and it was super easy. The ticket shows up on the app. They also email you so you can print a hard copy.

QUESTION: will the ticket on the app show up even if I’m offline on the train?

Thanks all!

Arno
    15492 posts
    4 August 2019 at 12:37:28 #918994

Hi Meemskirk,

It should show up offline too, and you can always test this by disabling wifi and data and see if it works. Apart from that you can take a screenshot of the ticket which will for sure work under all circumstances, except for a dead battery or phone 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 August 2019 at 20:04:25 #918995

QUESTION: will the ticket on the app show up even if I’m offline on the train?

Yes.

• The thread ‘Adding Swiss Half Fare Card to SBB mobile app’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11430 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.