Advice for 8 day Swiss itinerary late May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 9:33:53 #815164

Hello,

Would like to seek comments on the following itinerary for a group of 4 adults, please:

Day 1 (26 May, Sat) Land at 6:30 am Zurich Airport and train to Luzern, night stay at Luzern (SHFC)

Day 2 (27 May, Sun) Mt. Rigi, afternoon train to Wengen, night stay at Wengen (SHFC + Saver Day Pass)

Day 3 (28 May, Mon) Glacier 3000, night stay at Wengen (SHFC + Saver Day Pass)

Day 4 (29 May, Tue) Grindelward and Mt. First, night stay at Wengen (SHFC)

Day 5 (30 May, Wed) Circular trip from Lauterbrunnen to Murren and Trummelbach Falls, night stay at Wengen (SHFC + Saver Day Pass)

Day 6 (31 May, Thu) Morning train to Zermatt via Kandersteg, night stay at Zermatt (SHFC + Saver Day Pass)

Day 7 (1 Jun, Fri) Gornergrat, night stay at Zermatt (SHFC)

Day 8 (2 Jun, Sat) To Montreux or Geneve and flight 15:50 to London (SHFC + Saver Day Pass)

Grateful for comment on the itinerary and particular for advice whether it is doable to visit Montreux (preferable than Geneve) on Day 8, and if so, any suggested point(s) for visit, please.

Thank you.

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 April 2018 at 9:53:02 #881140

Hello amylee and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

With all those Saver Day Passes in there are you sure an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass is not a better option?

Have you read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass)?

I doubt you will have much time for sightseeing in Montreux or Geneva on day 8. Maybe stop for lunch at Montreux?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 10:03:11 #881141

Thanks for your prompt advice, Rockoyster.

I have used the excel and worked out this to be the most economical option.

Simply for lunch, is Montreux preferrable than Geneva? Your further advice, please.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 April 2018 at 10:08:16 #881142

Nice lake and mountain views at Montreux. Geneva more of a city.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 10:11:18 #881143

Got it and will take your advice. Thanks again.

Annika
    7135 posts
    7 April 2018 at 15:50:10 #881144

Hi amylee! Just to make sure you’ve understood the restrictions that come with saver day passes: have you read this information? The saver day passes don’t offer extra discounts on mountain transportation and you’ll have to buy them well in advance to get the lowest price (CHF 29,-), which may not be handy if you want to be flexible and adjust your plans to weather or other circumstances. Like Rockoyster, I feel an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass offers more freedom.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 16:07:44 #881145

Thanks for the additional information, Annika. I will have a re-consideration taking into account the flexibility.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 23:18:20 #881146

You will not have time to do anything much on the last day unless you leave Zermatt very early morning.

There is nothing special about Montreux, so:

My advice: enjoy the ride from Zermatt to Visp, enjoy the ride from Visp direct to Genève (sit on the left hand side of the train in the direction of travel as it leaves Visp). You will travel along the lake (right next to the lake in places between Villeneuve and Vevey) so great views with no effort!

Travel direct to Genève to make sure you are there – for the peace of mind as your flight is mid afternoon. On arrival in Genève, take the short journey down to the Pont du Mont Blanc and the lakeside to enjoy the view of the Jet d’Eau. Then make your way to the airport

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 2:19:45 #881147

Thanks a lot, 1960man.

Very useful information, will definitely take your advice. Then should left our luggage in Geneva station, am I correct?

• The thread ‘Advice for 8 day Swiss itinerary late May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11230 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.