Advice needed for 5-6days trip to Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2012 at 21:12:06 #805052

Hi,
    I am planning a trip to switzerland coming end of april. I have been reading website and looking for information a lot. We have kinda decided to based in Lucerne for most of the trip rather than rushing through every city. This is what we (a family of 5) are planning to do:
    Day 1 – Arrive Zurich Airport from London (Arrive in the afternoon) – Travel to Lucerne by train and check in – Tour around the town
    Day 2 – Mount Pilatus – Lake Lucerne – Local attraction/tour around the town
    Day 3 – Engelberg & Mount Titlis
    Day 4 – Mount Rigi or Day Trip to Jungfraujoch
    Day 5 – Day trip to Zurich or stay in zurich for a night
    Day 6 – Back to London in the afternoon/evening
    I want to make sure that this itinerary is not too hectic as I will be travelling with my parents (don’t want them to feel tired). I take it the best way to save money on travelling around would be a swiss rail pass?
    Regarding Day5/6, I am not sure whether it is a better plan to stay in Zurich one night or just do a day trip to Zurich from Lucerne. Is there much to do/see in Zurich ?
    Is there anything else major places I should visit/see while I am around Lucerne?
    Thanks for the advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    23 March 2012 at 7:33:19 #835308

Hello lioufamily, and welcome to the forum! I think your itinerary is great. It’s quite relaxed and still allows you to thoroughly explore Lucerne and its surroundings. The timetable will help you to find out about traveling times.

Yes, a Swiss rail pass will save you lots of money. Since you’re traveling in April/May, you should use the 2 for 1 offer on the 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. Free traveling days should be used for the first and lasty day and two other days in between. I suggest you use one for the trip to Rigi, as that’s for free on a free travel day with your Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. On the remaining days, a 50% discount applies. An alternative is the 2 for 1 offer on the 4 day Swiss Pass, covering day 1 to 4 and using an additional Zurich Card for day 5 (and maybe 6).

As for your last day: there’s lots to see and do in Zurich. Browsing this forum will provide you with tips and ideas. Since you have to get to the airport the next day, booking a hotel in the city or near the airport may be a good idea. Hotels in Lucerne are available too.

• The thread ‘Advice needed for 5-6days trip to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.