Advice on Choosing Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2013 at 9:09:26 #806120

Hi,

After reading various travel books and blogs, we are so confused about the coverage and the discount of each pass. Please kindly enlighten us on which pass will offer me best if the travel itinerary for two adults in August is as follows:

Day 1: Arrival at Geneva by flight. City tour in Geneva- Bern at night
    Day 2: City tour in Bern – Interlaken at night
    Day 3: Interlaken – Lauterbrunnel – Murren – Allmendhubel – (hiking) Murren – Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken
    Day 4: City tour in Interlaken – Grindelwald
    Day 5: Grindelwald – Jungfraubahn – Grindelwald (hiking between Mannlichenà and Kleine Scheidegg)
    Day 6: Grindelwald – Interlaken – Zermatt
    Day 7: Zermatt – Gornergrat – Zermatt
    Day 8: Zermatt – Andermatt – Bellinzona
    Day 9: Beliinzona – locarno – ValleVerzasca -zurich
    Day 10: Zurich – Luzern – Zurich
    Day 11: Zurich – Schaffhausen – Zurich Airport

1. Which pass will be the best?
    2. Do we need Jungfrau Railway Pass or Jungfrau Regional Pass if we have bought Swiss pass or half fare card?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
    Joyce & Pong from Hong Kong

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 July 2013 at 10:56:01 #839089

Hi Joyce and Pong,

It can indeed be quite a challenge to pick the right pass. You can calculate the most economical choice in detail, but looking at your itinerary, I would recommend to consider this combination of passes:

1. A 5-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass for 2 adults, with free travel days on day 1, 6, 8, 9, 11. See here for details and prices for Hong Kong (and don’t forget the promo codes for a discount).
    2. Two Jungfrau VIP Passes for day 3, 4, 5. You will get a discount on this pass because you already have a Swiss Flexi Pass.

This combination will get you free traveling on the 5 mentioned days (the longer trips), free traveling in most of the Jungfrau Region, and 50% discounted traveling on the remaining days.

Another option would be a 15-day Swiss Saver Pass and no other pass. I think the first option will be cheaper, but you’d need to do the math to be sure.

You have composed a great itinerary I think. One thing I noticed is your day 4: Interlaken and Grindelwald are, in my opinion, not interesting enough as a day trip destination. Their surroundings is what makes them attractive. It’s great to spend some time there hunting for souvenirs after returning from a hiking trip, but spending a day on these towns only would be a waste, especially since the VIP Pass could get you to more beautiful places at no cost (e.g. Schynige Platte or First).

I hope this helps. Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2013 at 11:00:04 #839090

Hi Arno,

Thank you very much for your reply. You have offered us great help.

Joyce & Pong

• The thread ‘Advice on Choosing Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.