Aletsch Glacier via Fiesch

• LeVoyageur
    Participant
    58 posts
    29 December 2016 at 21:35:36 #810484

Bonjour,

Most people view the Aletsch Glacier from Jungfraujoch, which is understandably both popular and expensive as it is more convenient from Interlaken. According to Lonely Planet, another alternative is to view it from its other side, from Fiesch train station and various lifts and trails. This less touristy option seems very appealing to me.

We will be based in Wengen for a while and I know that it takes close to 3 hours to get there. I am wondering if it is worthwhile to do it in one day. Another option that I have is that I was planning to use that route to go to Locarno to benefit from the Centovali train after or stay in Wengen. Do you know if the train stations of Betten or Fiesch have facilities to store our luggage while we would go to the glacier. Finally, I can’t really find if the Berner Oberland Regional Pass or the Swiss Travel Pass would work for the lifts of this area.

I take this opportunity to wish you a very happy 2017. You have an amazing web site that is so useful! Keep up the good work!

Bonne année à toute l’équipe!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 December 2016 at 7:40:21 #857605

Hi Jean,

You’ll find details about these other viewing points here:

I am not aware of lockers in Betten and Fiesch, but there is a left luggage office in Fiesch with limited opening hours. I would say it’s more convenient to leave your luggage in Brig if you do this as a side trip. That station has lockers for sure.

What’s covered in the various passes can be found on the maps:

Happy 2017 to you!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 December 2016 at 17:57:58 #857606

Bonjour Jean…or, as the Swiss in the german speakiong regions say – “Grüetzi”

<<“According to Lonely Planet, another alternative is to view it from its other side, from Fiesch train station and various lifts and trails. This less touristy option seems very appealing to me.”>>

We did that from the viewpoint at Eggishorn, once when we stayed once at Bettmeralp. We also did it as a dedicated trip from Brunnen, via Fiesch, and made it back in time for dinner on the terrace at the then much nicer Waldstätterhof at Brunnen.

You are right to try to get that viewpoint.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Aletsch Glacier via Fiesch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.