Another Swiss Rail Question

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2013 at 21:53:31 #805848

My itinerary is changing for my trip in September and I am now looking at traveling by rail from Zurich Airport to Murren with a few hours stop in Lucerne. I will be in Murren for 3 nights and plan to take Jungfraujoch and the Schilthorn trips weather permitting, as well as travel to and from Lauterbrunnen. After that it’s on to Zermatt for a night then the Glacier Express to St Moritz. At St Moritz I will rent a car and do not plan to use Swiss rail again. So am I better off with Half Fare or Swiss Pass or something else?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    11 March 2013 at 16:16:43 #838236

Hi eyedoc! So you’ll be doing all traveling by train now, except for the last day(s) in St. Moritz? In that case I think you should consider a 3 day Swiss Flexi Pass, using free travel days for Zurich Airport-Mürren, Mürren-Zermatt and Zermatt-St. Moritz, and discounts during your stay in Mürren.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2013 at 21:42:40 #838237

Hi Arno. Actually I am still undecided, car vs rail. Once we leave Switzerland we will definitely need a car but the Swiss part of our trip is driving me nuts. My main reason for considering rail is to go on the Glacier Express and maybe the Bernina Express as everyone says how nice these trips are. My main question is by driving from Chur to Tirano will I have similar scenery as one gets from the train or do you really need to take the train to experience the best of the area. From what I’ve read, it seems like the most dramatic section of the Glacier Express is from Chur south??

Arno
    15478 posts
    12 March 2013 at 1:35:59 #838238

Hello eyedoc,

Train trips are great indeed. Chur to Tirano can be done by car as well, and you’ll mostly experience the same landscape as train travelers, indeed including a section of the Glacier Express. A difference is that the driver should pay attention to the (sometimes narrow and curvy) road only, so you don’t really see that much while driving (please read “Driving in the mountains“). Making lots of stops makes sure the driver can also enjoy the scenery. A car allows you to stop at beautiful and quiet places along the way, a train ride is more spectacular I think, and a really different experience.

• The thread ‘Another Swiss Rail Question’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.