Which Swiss train routes need seat reservation?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2017 at 10:33:17 #813818

Hi All

I will be travelling in Swiss from 2nd to 9th Jan 2018,

below is my itinerary, but just got no idea at all if some of them will need seat reservation online in advance

would like to check if any of below route will need seat reservation

• 2nd Jan: Heidelberg to Lucerne
    • 3rd Jan: Lucerne to and from Engelberg
    • 4th Jan: Lucerne to Interlaken
    • 5th Jan: Interlaken to and from Bern
    • 7th Jan: Interlaken to Zermatt
    • 9th Jan: Zermatt to Milan

Also i am getting a half fare card from Raileurope, i tried to register it when using SBB web,

but looks like the customer no. digit was not the same as the card can be purchased from SBB directly,

would like to see if any chance i can still use it online

Would appreciate all your help in advance. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 December 2017 at 21:54:21 #872868

Hi Johnny and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The only trip above where you will need a reservation is on the train between Domodossola and Milan.

You can by tickets on line without quoting your half-fare card. Just be sure to have it available to show the conductor along with your half-price ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2017 at 8:12:53 #872869

Hi Johnny,

The SBB is very much focused on the Swiss and ask them for the card number. As a tourist this is not needed so you can skip that step. Alternatively you could buy from a website that is focused on tourists. We have listed some retailers here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland halffare/price

• The thread ‘Which Swiss train routes need seat reservation?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.