Appropriate footwear for December in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2019 at 7:23:48 #824315

Hi, we are a family of four (2 boys age 8 and 9). We are planning an itinerary for Europe in December (11-17) which includes a week in Switzerland. This may sound odd but I’m really unsure about appropriate footwear! Coming from Australia I’m struggling to get my head around how cold it will be and have had many conflicting opinions.

We are planning to do Jungfraujoch so we will have some snow boots (not high quality though) but I’m wondering what people wear the rest of the time in the cities? We will be visiting Zurich and Lucerne and Grindelwald. Can we get away with just trainers or do we need some insulated boots? Or do people wear snow boots in the city as well?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Angie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2019 at 8:43:53 #924298

Hello Asdoda,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

For traveling in December to Switzerland, I recommend you bring: windproof jacket, sweaters, knitted cap, gloves, thick socks, boots with tread soles. When you’re up in the alps, you should wear warm clothes, knitted cap, gloves, and boots with tread soles will do. I don’t think you will need insulated boots, as long as you wear warm socks with the boots. If you’re still afraid of getting cold feet, you could always purchase sheepskin or thermal foil insoles for your boots/shoes.

When you are in the cities, wearing trainers will do. Majority of people don’t wear snow boots in the city unless we get hit with a snowfall. You could always put the warm insoles in your trainers in case you find you need the added warm.

Please refer to http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather as well.

I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2019 at 22:49:00 #924299

Thanks Suzanne,

That helps a lot! It’s great to finally get some reliable advice

kind regards

Angela

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2019 at 23:43:28 #924300

any stout-soled deep tread footwear will be OK, shoes with good tread will usually work in the main Swiss cities, but boots may be needed at higher altitudes if it happens to snow – or if you go to a snowy high altitude destination.

• The thread ‘Appropriate footwear for December in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.