April 2016 trip – will the cable cars be open?

• leeeng
    Participant
    6 posts
    2 March 2016 at 8:07:15 #808522

Hi,

my itinerary for 13-18/4/2016 trip at Switzerland as below, please advise is it doable especially any cable car or train is closed under maintenance during this period that will affect my route?

Thanks in advance!

• Day 1: Zermatt – Riffelalp- Riffelberg- Rotenboden- Gornergrat – Zermatt
    • Day 2: Zermatt – Matterhorn glacier paradise – matterhorn musuem – Bahnhof strasse – Zermatt
    • Day 3: zermatt – interlaken ost – Grindelwald – Kleine schedegg – Jungfraujoch – Kleine schedegg – wengen – lauterbrunnen – Interlaken ost
    • Day 4: interlaken ost – Grindelwald- Bort – First – Bachalpsee lake – bort – Grindelwald – interlaken ost
    • Day 5: interlaken ost – Lucern (via golden pass line) – vitznau- Rigi- Lake Lucern- Lucern
    • Day 6: Lucern- Zurich- Schaffhausen- Rhein fall – Zurich (Lindenhof & schipfe)
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    2 March 2016 at 9:59:52 #848942

Hi leeeng, welcome to MySwissAlps!

From the top of my mind only day 4 is not possible. The cable car does not operate and the trail to the lake is inaccessible in April. You can verify all of this through the timetable, and our attraction pages have links to timetables of individual cable cars too.

leeeng
    Participant
    6 posts
    2 March 2016 at 11:33:10 #848943

Hi Annika,

thanks for your prompt reply.😁

Yes, u r right, day 4 cable car is closed, I guess I will need to change my day 4 plan.

By referring to my itinerary as above, do u think is it worth to get a Half Fare pass instead of Swiss travel pass?

thanks!

Annika
    7121 posts
    2 March 2016 at 18:05:26 #848944

Hi leeeng,

At first glance I’d say a Swiss Half Fare Card might be more economical. However, you should make calculations and compare this with an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass to make sure. Your revised plans for day 4 will matter. Apart from your calculations, ease of use could be a factor to consider too.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 March 2016 at 1:39:52 #848945

In addition to what Annika said (and she is right on) Day 5 seems quite long.

Have not checked the timetable to be sure.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Also good for cable cars,as April is maintenance month.

Check the timetable for your exact dates and locations.

Day 6 – Why do you want to visit the Rheinfall?

You have perhaps overfilled that day…

Slowpoke

leeeng
    Participant
    6 posts
    10 March 2016 at 6:17:21 #848946

Hi ,

Since the cable car does not operate in April, I think I would like to change my plan as such:

Day 2 : Zermatt – Matterhorn glacier paradise – matterhorn musuem – Bahnhof strasse – Zermatt -Interlaken West

Day 3: Interlaken West – Interlaken Ost – Lauterbrunnen – Grutschalp – Murren – Gimmelwald – Stechelberg -Interlaken Ost – Interlaken West

Day 4: Interlaken West –> Interlaken Ost –> Grindelwald –> Kleine Scheidegg -Jungfraujoch -Kleine Scheidegg –> Wengen –> Lauterbrunnen –> Interlaken

I guess the revised plan as above will be more doable? and buy a Swiss Travel Pass will save more time than having a Half Fare Pass which need to purchase train ticket at every route?

Hi Slowspoke, Rheinfalls not worth to pay a visit?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 March 2016 at 6:53:59 #848947

Hi Leeng –

<<“Hi Slowspoke, Rheinfalls not worth to pay a visit?”>>

I did not say that.

I asked why you wanted to go there. It is a matter of making choices.

You can certainly fit it all into one day, but , you could also consider more time in Luzern.

Whether or not you choose to see the Rheinfall is a matter of personal preference. And, my comments reflect my own personal preferences.

For visitors from the USA or Canada, I always ask if they have seen Niagara Falls. The pair of Niagara Falls are much more impressive, in my opinion, and that gives a standard of comparison. They are much higher. If you have never been close to a major waterfall, the Rheinfall is certainly impressive and powerful and worth some time. On the other hand, many countries have impressive waterfalls; only one country has Luzern.

My question was intended exactly as I wrote it, so that you could think about why you want to go there, as opposed to why you might spend more time in Luzern.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 March 2016 at 13:29:37 #848948

Sounds good to me! Make sure you walk from Grütschalp to Mürren on day 3. Of course you can take the train, but walking is the very best way to see the scenery.

• The thread ‘April 2016 trip – will the cable cars be open?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.