Are the cable cars in Bernese Oberland chairlifts?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2019 at 18:39:10 #822399

Hello. I am hoping to take my dogs on the cable cars and need to know which ones are chairlifts and which are closed in cabin style ones. Is there a map which distinguishes between them, please?

Thanks in advance.

Sue Caddell.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 June 2019 at 10:14:41 #915777

Hi Sue, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

The majority of the Bernese Oberland cable cars consists of closed cabins of varying sizes. There are only a few open chairlifts left. That is, in summer season. During winter more chairlifts are serviced on the ski slopes. I’m not aware of a map that clearly distinguishes types of cable cars. I did find this overview though: http://www.alternative s-wandern.ch/bergbahnen/ bern.htm.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2019 at 11:10:25 #915778

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. This info will be very helpful.

Sue.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 June 2019 at 17:32:42 #915779

Hi Sue –

<<“”I’m not aware of a map that clearly distinguishes types of cable cars.”>>

This map does, by its icons:

map.search.ch/?pos=639077,161944&z=64 &poi=bergbahn

There are two kinds of closed cabins- small ones often called “Gondelbahn” and big ones called “Luftseilbahn.”

The link from Annika provides similar and complimentary information, but as far as I can tell, does not provide a map.

Are your dogs in Switzerland?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2019 at 18:56:06 #915780

Thank you Slowpoke. This is brilliant-just what I was looking for. Our dogs are in England. We have used cable cars with them very successfully in Austria and would like to do something similar in Switzerland in September.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 June 2019 at 19:02:24 #915781

Are there any quarantine issues for your dogs?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2019 at 19:37:36 #915782

Hopefully not. They have passports and we have travelled problem free for many years. Could depend on brexit but as long as we are back for 31st Oct we are hoping it will be unchanged.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 June 2019 at 21:14:45 #915783

Good to hear. I have no personal knowledge of the exact issues, but have read of long quarantine periods for dogs….perhaps coming into Great Britain from the USA?? Maybe the EU has made that easier for travel such as yours.

If you’re not worried, I’m not either. 😉

Just in case, since there are seasonal travel issues with the high Alps, when are you traveling? The Forum rules request that information, to help us match the answers to the season.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

<<“Please provide enough information. For example: the question “What can I do in 7 days in Interlaken?” can be answered much better if you include some information about your interests, preferences, when you plan to travel, age of the travelers, etc.;”>>

Since you have traveled a bit before in Alpine countries, you probably are aware of the seasonal constraints and service reductions, but it is wise to check.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2019 at 5:47:46 #915784

Hello Colliemad,

Nice to hear you’re planning to take your four-legged friends along to Switzerland.

I travelled quite a lot with my buddy when he was still with me and had no issues whatsoever taking him onto cable cars. Sometimes they will have to pay a half ticket but on the mountain transportation they’re often for free. I found out that mountain folks are even more animal friendly than the standard Swiss.

Mine also did chairlifts, as he was calm and medium-sized.

For general information see:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/dogs

Have a good time.

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘Are the cable cars in Bernese Oberland chairlifts?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.