Are the cable cars in Bernese Oberland chairlifts?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Colliemad
Colliemad
4 posts
Jun 21, 2019 - 6:39 PM

Hello. I am hoping to take my dogs on the cable cars and need to know which ones are chairlifts and which are closed in cabin style ones. Is there a map which distinguishes between them, please?

Thanks in advance.

Sue Caddell.

Annika
Annika
5860 posts
expert &
Jun 22, 2019 - 10:14 AM

Hi Sue, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

The majority of the Bernese Oberland cable cars consists of closed cabins of varying sizes. There are only a few open chairlifts left. That is, in summer season. During winter more chairlifts are serviced on the ski slopes. I'm not aware of a map that clearly distinguishes types of cable cars. I did find this overview though: http://www.alternative s-wandern.ch/bergbahnen/ bern.htm.

Last modified on Jun 22, 2019 - 2:25 PM by Annika
Colliemad
Colliemad
4 posts
Jun 22, 2019 - 11:10 AM in reply to Annika

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. This info will be very helpful.

Sue.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6480 posts
expert
Jun 22, 2019 - 5:32 PM in reply to Colliemad

Hi Sue -

<<""I'm not aware of a map that clearly distinguishes types of cable cars.">>

This map does, by its icons:

map.search.ch/?pos=639077,161944&z=64 &poi=bergbahn

There are two kinds of closed cabins- small ones often called "Gondelbahn" and big ones called "Luftseilbahn."

The link from Annika provides similar and complimentary information, but as far as I can tell, does not provide a map.

Are your dogs in Switzerland?

Slowpoke

Last modified on Jun 22, 2019 - 5:37 PM by Slowpoke
Colliemad
Colliemad
4 posts
Jun 22, 2019 - 6:56 PM

Thank you Slowpoke. This is brilliant-just what I was looking for. Our dogs are in England. We have used cable cars with them very successfully in Austria and would like to do something similar in Switzerland in September.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6480 posts
expert
Jun 22, 2019 - 7:02 PM in reply to Colliemad

Are there any quarantine issues for your dogs?

Slowpoke

Last modified on Jun 22, 2019 - 7:02 PM by Slowpoke
Colliemad
Colliemad
4 posts
Jun 22, 2019 - 7:37 PM

Hopefully not. They have passports and we have travelled problem free for many years. Could depend on brexit but as long as we are back for 31st Oct we are hoping it will be unchanged.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6480 posts
expert
Jun 22, 2019 - 9:14 PM in reply to Colliemad

Good to hear. I have no personal knowledge of the exact issues, but have read of long quarantine periods for dogs....perhaps coming into Great Britain from the USA?? Maybe the EU has made that easier for travel such as yours.

If you're not worried, I'm not either. ;-)

Just in case, since there are seasonal travel issues with the high Alps, when are you traveling? The Forum rules request that information, to help us match the answers to the season.

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

<<"Please provide enough information. For example: the question "What can I do in 7 days in Interlaken?" can be answered much better if you include some information about your interests, preferences, when you plan to travel, age of the travelers, etc.;">>

Since you have traveled a bit before in Alpine countries, you probably are aware of the seasonal constraints and service reductions, but it is wise to check.

Slowpoke

Steph
Steph
1703 posts
top member &
Jun 23, 2019 - 5:47 AM in reply to Colliemad

Hello Colliemad,

Nice to hear you're planning to take your four-legged friends along to Switzerland.

I travelled quite a lot with my buddy when he was still with me and had no issues whatsoever taking him onto cable cars. Sometimes they will have to pay a half ticket but on the mountain transportation they're often for free. I found out that mountain folks are even more animal friendly than the standard Swiss.

Mine also did chairlifts, as he was calm and medium-sized.

For general information see:
- www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/dogs

Have a good time.

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Jun 23, 2019 - 5:48 AM by Steph

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019