Base camp Murren late May; hiking and what else?

• DRoss
    Participant
    10 posts
    16 March 2016 at 11:15:44 #808636

It will be my first time in Switzerland and I decided to make Murren my base while I’m there from 5/25 through 5/28. I think I might get a regional Berner Oberland pass depending upon accessibility and time constrains.. I checked out the Murren website. Any suggestions on an itinerary for 3 nights, 4 days in Murren and the surround areas.. I want to do some hiking, maybe 2 to 3 paths, but what else in that time frame? It’s hard to tell how far away places of interests and towns are from each other?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 March 2016 at 6:42:02 #849477

Hi DRoss,

Mürren is a wonderful village with good views. By the end of May trails below about 2500 m should be clear of snow and accessible. You can check with the tourist office if necessary. Hiking and attraction suggestions can be found here: myswissalps.com/ jungfrauregion/ activities. People spend weeks there, so it should not be a problem to enjoy yourself for 4 days. Traveling times are in the timetable: myswissalps.com/ timetable. As long as you stay in the Jungfrau region trips will not take more than 1.5 hours one way, but in many cases it’s much less.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 March 2016 at 2:18:02 #849478

Hi Dross.

As Arno notes, trails should be open below 2500 meters, but snow often may still block a shady portion of a trail until mid-June. Confirm your choices with your hotel or the local tourist office before you start out.

This link may be helpful.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/som mer/tourism/destinatio ns/kleine-scheidegg/hiking-trails/

Note the date at the bottom of the page, and also that in late may, some trails’ accessibility may vary from day to day.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Base camp Murren late May; hiking and what else?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.