Basel to Gimmelwald to Zurich in five days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2011 at 15:36:46 #804421

My husband and I are going to be ending a river cruise in Basel in September on a Sunday morning and are trying to figure out the best rail tickets purchases. We know how to get there but are confused trying to figure out if we should buy a pass or individual tickets. We are both over 60, but that doesn’t seem to elicit any extra discount. We are looking at the train from Basel to Interlaken. Then Interlaken to Gimmelwald for three days via train to Lauterbrunnen, bus connection to Stechelberg and cable car up to Gimmelwald doing the reverse back to Interlaken and then to Zurich the following Wednesday and staying one night in Zurich. The next morning we take our flight home. We have our accomodations in Gimmelwald and Zurich. The rail passes vs individual purchases is very confusing. Can anyone who has experience in this help? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    23 June 2011 at 13:41:19 #833261

Hello bobbonnieo, and welcome to the forum! The individual tickets versus rail pass question can be confusing indeed! However, a rail pass is worth your money in most cases. I think it also is for your itinerary, but that depends on your travel plans once you’re in Gimmelwald. If you’re planning to make some trips from there, using the cable car, bus and/or mountain trains, a Swiss Half Fare Card is worth considering. It offers a 50% discount on nearly all trips (that is, from Basel to Gimmelwald, from Gimmelwald back to Zurich and further trips you’ll be making from Gimmelwald).

If, on the other hand, your inbound and outbound journeys (Basel-Gimmelwald en Gimmelwald-Zurich) are the only ones you’ll be making, without any further use of public transportation, you’re better off buying regular tickets.

By the way, you’re right about senior discounts: they’re not available.

I hope this helps you out a bit! Kind regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2011 at 16:27:53 #833262

Thank you. That is a big help. We will definitely purchase a pass as we planning to visit quite extensively using cable car, gondola and bus in the areas.

Annika
    7103 posts
    24 June 2011 at 11:11:42 #833263

You’re welcome bobbonnieo! Purchasing a pass sounds like a good plan, if you’re going to use local transportation. Have a wonderful trip!

• The thread ‘Basel to Gimmelwald to Zurich in five days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.