Basel to Zermatt in late December by rental car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2019 at 20:53:31 #824467

Hi Swiss Friends,

I’m driving a rental car from Basel to Zermatt (Tasch) and I have few questions I hope you can help with:

1. I’ve rented a small SUV. Adding traction devices wasn’t an option when I made my reservation. Multiple attempts to add them have been unsuccessful. Will my route require that I use them or have them with me?

1. A. Hotwire indicated that if we needed them that any gas station will have them available for free. This sounds far fetched. Anyone have info on this?

2. Any thoughts on the best route to take during this time of year?

3. I know that I can pre-pay for a parking space in Tasch, but it seems like that doesn’t reserve a spot for me. So is there any reason to purchase ahead of time?

3. A. Is there a way to actually reserve a parking space?

3. B. If the Tasch parking lot is full, what alternatives exist and how does one get to the train to Zermatt from those alternatives.

Many thanks for your guidance!

Matty

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 November 2019 at 22:01:46 #925153

Hi Matty and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Sorry I don’t have answers for you but do you have a particular reason for driving? The train would be infinitely more relaxing.

See http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2019 at 22:07:41 #925154

Hi Rockoyster,

Thank you for the question. Yes, we toiled over train vs. car for a long time, but we arriving in Zurich and our time includes travel to Basel, Zermatt, Salzburg, Vienna, Prague and unknown side trips along the way. So, while I would prefer the more environmental option of using the train, with 3 travelers it was more economical to drive.

Anna
    6384 posts
    16 November 2019 at 11:09:55 #925155

Hi Matty,

The Matterhorn Terminal is the main parking garage in Täsch. It has about 2000 parking bays. You can book a parking space in advance here:

shop.matterhorngotthar dbahn.ch/mgb_en/parkti cket?ref=zermatt

There are also various other private parking garages in Täsch.

I’m afraid I don’t have the answer to your other questions. Be sure to read these basic info before you start your journey.

Best regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2019 at 2:00:39 #925156

The vehicle as provided will be perfectly adequate for your journey. All Swiss main roads are kept open and well treated in winter, even if there is snow around.

The road route from Basel is either:

a) Basel – Bern– Spiez – Kandersteg – BLS car carrying train – Goppenstein – Visp – Täsch

b) Basel – Bern – Montreux – Visp – Täsch

Route b is 100% motorway apart from Visp – Täsch

The advantage of route b is that around Montreux you get a panoramic view of Lake Geneva from the elevated motorway and there is a rest area on that section as well

Visp – Täsch is a smaller road so an alternative is to park at Visp

Täsch is designed to cater for 1000s of visitors arriving by car, I doubt there will be a problem. I’ve never seen Täsch ‘full’ as there are acres of overflow areas seldom used.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2019 at 17:58:23 #925157

1960man,

Thank you! This is excellent and comprehensive information.

i really appreciate you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2019 at 23:57:23 #925158

No problem

I’ve been travelling on Swiss roads for 59 years (and I’m 59!) and covered most of the main routes in the country at some time or another

• The thread ‘Basel to Zermatt in late December by rental car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.