Bern – Domodossola (I) seat reservations

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 21:31:04 #815488

Hello,

I’ll travel from Bern to MIlan in may. The Bern – Domodossola (I) leg I’ll make with the Swiss travel pass an I’ve already bought the Domodossola – Milan leg.

Here is my doubt:

On SBB website there is a message about the train I’ll take:

“Passengers travelling to Domodossola (I) without a seat reservation for train EC 51 take the train 10051 with free seats. Reason: Large build up of traffic. “

Please, does anyone can explan me that?

I tried to make a seat reservation on SBB website but is no longer avaliable. The travel is in may 11.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 7:04:42 #883005

Hi livika,

Did you try on this site?

http://www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/ b2c/adw.do?1993

I just tried, and it seemed that reservations are still available Bern-Domodossola for the EC51. If you do manage to get a reservation for Bern to Domodossola, and already have a reservation for Domodossola to Milano Centrale, you will need to move seats at Domodossola.

Otherwise, it will probably work as I have seen it a couple of times before on routes to Milano Centrale: they run an additional train at the same time as EC51. The additional train will have the number 10051, and anyone without a reservation gets this train instead.

However, if you have a reservation on EC51 from Domodossola to Milano Centrale, that additional train no. 10051 won’t get you to Domodossola in sufficient time to connect with the EC 51 at Domodossola. You will have to take an earlier train from Bern to Domodossola. The earlier train leaves Bern at 6:06.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 April 2018 at 9:30:58 #883006

Hi Alpenrose,

I tried the reservation thing this morning and “computer said no”. Could have just been one of those SBB glitches that occur from time to time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 12:17:56 #883007

>> I tried the reservation thing this morning and “computer said no”.

Yes, you’re right. I tried it again and this time went a step further, at which point indeed “computer said no” (cough).

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 12:33:52 #883008

>> I tried to make a seat reservation on SBB website but is no longer avaliable. The travel is in may 11.

It doesn’t seem to be possible to make a reservation online for the Bern-Domodossola sector on EC 51.

However, there are still vacant seats available on that train if you try to buy a ticket + reservation on the Trenitalia site, so it’s not booked out.

See if you can make a reservation by telephoning the SBB Booking Center on +41 900 300 300 (open 24/7).

Alpenrose

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 April 2018 at 14:49:21 #883009

Hi Livika,

I checked the retailers listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations/price and could still find tickets for that train all the way to Milan, including reservation, through http://www.raileurope-world.com/book-now/article/passholder s-seat-reservation-guide for € 24 (Swiss Travel Pass passholder fare). I also checked for reservations to Domodossola only. They’re available too for € 12, but somehow they list different times then: departure from Bern 7:39 AM, arrival at Domodossola 9:54 AM (instead of 9:12 AM).

There seems to be a special case here. Apart from buying a new ticket for the entire trip and then cancelling your old ticket, you can try calling SBB as suggested above or arrange for it at any staffed train station in Switzerland the first day you’re there. Worst case you need to take one train earlier.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 12:41:20 #883010

Hello guys,

Thanks for the answers

I wrote to SBB and here’s the answer:

“You made a reservation on the EC 51 from Domodossola to Milan, so you can take the reserved seat already in Bern. Mostly the seat on this track remains free.

The information about the train 10051 concerns only travellers travelling to Domodossola”

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 13:53:43 #883011

>> I wrote to SBB and here’s the answer

Thank you for reporting back. This information is sure to come in handy for someone else in the future. And if you could post again after you have made the trip, and tell us how it all worked out, that would be even better 🙂

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Bern – Domodossola (I) seat reservations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.