Do you prefer Bremgarten or Bad Ragaz in December?

• Fritzrab
    Participant
    45 posts
    14 October 2017 at 15:46:04 #813505

We will be traveling in December, by train, throughout Switzerland. One of our legs will be traveling from Bern to St Moritz. We planned to stop for a couple of days in Bremgarten and in Bad Ragaz. We have heard both are charming but Bremgarten requires a number of train changes and Bad Ragaz has some beautiful trails but some won’t be open at that time. We don’t ski, simply enjoying taking in the scenery, light hiking, mountains, food … Does anyone suggest other towns instead of these 2 choices? Thanks,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2017 at 13:34:39 #870937

Hi Fritzrab,

I haven’t been to either town unfortunately. Bremgarten is close to Zurich and the connections aren’t too bad from Bern (you can do it in one transfer) but from there to St. Moritz you need 3 stops.

Bremgarten is quite popular in the summer (surfing on the river) and it has one of the biggest and most popular Christmas markets in Switzerland. I have a friend who went last year and was really impressed. Strangely it only operates from Dec.1 -4. I’m not sure outside of that what the area could offer for several days but the town is quite scenic. It is also quite close to Zurich if you felt like visiting there.

Bad Ragz is a spa town so if that appeals to you I think that gives you an answer! Otherwise a hard choice; but if you are looking for mountain scenery it is the best choice. Although it may have a similar feel to St. Mortiz.

Fritzrab
    Participant
    45 posts
    17 October 2017 at 14:18:26 #870938

Thanks Lucas for your reply. We are not big spa people. Would you recommend another town between Bremgarten and St Moritz to spend a few days. (We’ve been to Zurich.) Perhaps somewhere that would offer light hiking (we are not spring chickens). Most of our stops (from Geneva to St Moritz to Milan) are large towns/cities. Perhaps the picture perfect small town on a hillside with not much more to offer than quiet beauty and a few mountain goats:)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2017 at 17:12:47 #870939

Well I wouldn’t discount Bad Ragaz entirely even if you aren’t into Spa’s.

I haven’t personally been to many towns along that route (that fit your requirements).

From Bern will travel via Zurich and Chur (or Landquart) to St. Mortiz. THere is nothing that jumps out at me along that route.

How about something like the Appenzell region? St. Gallen is the main town (which is bigger than you want I think). But you could head into the town on Appenzell or Weissbad? It is a touch out of the way but not too bad. Use the Swiss railways timetable here for more details.

Have a look at the local tourism website for Appenzellerland to see if it piques your interest.
    I made a day trip out there to the Ebenalp (near Weissbad) read about the mountain and see some pictures here.

Fritzrab
    Participant
    45 posts
    17 October 2017 at 20:30:29 #870940

Thanks. Appenzell looks like a charming town with lots to offer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2017 at 23:58:29 #870941

>> Would you recommend another town between Bremgarten and St Moritz to spend a few days … Perhaps somewhere that would offer light hiking … Perhaps the picture perfect small town on a hillside with not much more to offer than quiet beauty and a few mountain goats

The beautiful mountainside village of Guarda in the Lower Engadin might fit the bill.

I have written trip reports (with photos) about Guarda, and a lovely, but larger nearby town called Scuol. If you are interested, here are the links:

Guarda

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-lower-engadine-guarda-october-2016

Scuol

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/scuol

From Bremgarten to Guarda, the route is:

Bremgarten-Dietikon-Zürich-Landquart-Guarda-Guarda cumün

The last stretch “Guarda” to “Guarda cumün” is in a small PostBus which meets the train in the valley and takes you up the mountain to the village.

Between Landquart and Guarda you travel through the following stations (without changing trains): Malans, Schiers, Jenaz, Küblis, Saas im Prättigau, Klosters Platz, Vereina Tunnel, Saglians, Lavin. Most of that is very scenic.

My description of this train route (in the opposite direction, including photos) is in my post of Feb 28, 2017 – 4:36 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/chur-to-st-moritz-via-davos

From Guarda to St Moritz is less than an hour-and-a-half through the pretty valley of the River Inn (called En in the local Romansch language).

Alpenrose

Fritzrab
    Participant
    45 posts
    4 November 2017 at 17:10:58 #870942

Hi All,

We have decided we would like to visit the St Gallen Christmas market in early December. Can anyone please provide me with the exact address for the St. Gallen Christmas market. I am trying to find a hotel near by. Some sites say it is at the St Gallen markplatz and others say Klosterplatz. Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2017 at 0:59:21 #870943

Hi Fritzrab,

>> Can anyone please provide me with the exact address for the St. Gallen Christmas market

I have responded to this in your other thread:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/st-gallen-christmas-market

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Do you prefer Bremgarten or Bad Ragaz in December?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.