Berner Oberland Pass cover 1st class Golden Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2016 at 20:04:29 #809531

Hi! Hoping you can help! I have a few questions about the Golden pass train line while having the Berner Oberland pass.

1. Does the BO pass cover first and second class seat reservations on the Golden pass line? I want to make reservations and I see there aren’t too many seats left. I don’t want to reserve the first class seats (8 CHF) and find out my BO pass doesn’t cover the first class seats!

2. There are 30 available seats in second class, but it is the bistro car. Is that not the best place to sit? Seems it would be quite busy and loud?

3. Does the Junior card cover first class tickets on the Golden pass line?

4. Are there more cars available for the Golden pass line? There are only 3 cars I see to make reservations for. I am assuming there are more cars that you just show up and grab a seat for with no reservations?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Michelle

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2016 at 8:47:16 #853450

The Golden Pass Line is the train Montreux <> Zweisimmen (traincompany MOB) and Zweisimmen <> Interlaken (traincompany BLS). You must always change in Zweisimmen.

You can take every train on this route. Between Montreux <> Zweisimmen there is every 2 hours a fast train, but also a slow train. Seat reservation is possible, but not necessary. The slow trains a not busy, modern trains and the trip is 20 minutes longer. The fast train is only busy when there are travel groups.

When you have a second class BO-karte, you can only travel in second class, not in first class.

When you have a first class BO-karte, the Junior Karte cover also first class.

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 June 2016 at 10:05:39 #853451

Be sure to download the map for exact coverage details: myswissalps.com/ regionalpass berneseoberland/ validity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2016 at 15:09:06 #853452

Thank you both! Is the bistro car an okay place to sit? There are a ton of seats on there. Reservations on the other cars available are booking up quickly. Seems like it isn’t anyones first pick to sit in the bistro car? Is that a correct assumption? I understand I don’t need a reservation, but we will have our children with us so I want to make sure we can sit with each other. Would you suggest the other cars before the bistro car to reserve? Thank you!!

Michelle

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 June 2016 at 15:29:39 #853453

Hi Michelle,

I haven’t heard of a bistro car between Montreux and Zweisimmen before, which is the only section where reservations are recommended for some trains. Which route are you reserving seats for, and what date and time?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2016 at 1:01:28 #853454

The route is Interaken OST to Lucern. The reason why I wanted to make reservations is because we will have our 2 young sons with us and I wanted to be sure we all get to sit together. I was afraid we could possibly not be able to since it is high season? What do you suggest?

Here is all the information:

Station: Interlaken Ost to Luzern

Time: dep. 11:04

arr. 12:55

Train number: 2923

Date: July 13, 2016

It says “Bistro” consumption compulsory. I assumed that was the restaurant car? Also, I can’t tell the position of the seats. Is there a table in between the group of four?

tickets.goldenpass.ch is the website I am looking at. Is this the one I should be using?

Thank you so much for all of your help!!!

Michelle

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2016 at 1:27:30 #853455

Oh, one more thing. Traveling from Interlaken to Lucern would you suggest sitting on the left? I read in the Rick Steves book going from Lucern to Interlaken to sit on the right so assuming it would be the opposite going the other direction? Thank you again! You guys are great!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2016 at 8:57:27 #853456

We think you are going with the Golden Pas route from Interlaken to Mountreux……………

But you are go from Interlaken to Luzern. That is a complet diferent route by train.

You must sit from Interlaken to Meiringen on the right, from Meiringen to Luzern on the left, BUT the train is changing direction at Meiningen, you can sit on the same places !

There is no list of the position of the seats in the train, because every wagon is different.

When you sit in the restaurant / Bistro you must eat there. Eating in Swiss trains are very, very expensive…..!

When you are on time by the train, there is place for 4 ( I hope…) We are travelling for 40 years in Switserland by train and do not a reservation at all.

greetings from the Netherlands, Brahms

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 June 2016 at 10:58:42 #853457

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the additional details. That train is regular public transport, like almost all trains in Switzerland. People just buy a ticket and find a seat (like a subway ride); they don’t book such daily trips in advance. A few tourists may reserve seats, but there is really no need to. If you’re on the platform in time there will be seats available, as you will board in Interlaken where the train starts its journey.

If you sit in the bistro car you are indeed expected to buy a drink or a snack. A very nice experience actually: eating while watching great scenery go by. Expect to pay about CHF 10 – 18 for a salad, CHF 15 – 25 for a warm dish.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2016 at 23:13:45 #853458

Thank you all! This is all very helpful information!!! I sincerely appreciate it!! 🙂

Michelle

• The thread ‘Berner Oberland Pass cover 1st class Golden Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.