Berner Oberland pass coverage cities and kids

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2016 at 1:29:28 #809433

Hi! I have been researching this for weeks and I am still confused! Can you help please?

We will be traveling from Milan Central to Wengen in July. I have been reviewing the validity map over and over again, but I am just not sure still…

1. Can you please tell me does the Berner Overland pass cover from Spiez to Wengen? I have this route in mind…Spiez-Interlaken OST-Lauterbrunnen-Wengen? Looking at the validity map it just isn’t that clear to me.

2. Also, I believe it is, but just checking, is the Golden Pass included with the BO pass as well? I want to make a reservation since I will be traveling with my children. If the Golden Pass isn’t covered, then I will just take the non-scenic route.

3. In addition, is the Berner Oberland pass considered a “travel pass” for children to travel for free? I know the Swiss Travel pass has that option, called the “Family Card/Family Pass” but i’m not getting that pass. The reason why I ask is because I want to get them the 30CHF travel Family pass/Family card to cover all of Switzerland, not just the BO area because we will also be traveling to Zurich as well.

4. Again, with not really understanding the validity map that well, we will also be going to Luzern and I’m not sure if the Berner Oberland pass covers these areas… (it looks like dots on the validity map so assuming it is 1/2 price?) Is Luzern to Engelberg covered, Is Luzern-Engelberg-Mt Titlis covered and Mt. Pilatus looks like a blue line? Is that covered in any way? I don’t see a blue line option in the key.

5. Also, is the only option to get the Berner Oberland pass sent to me? Is there absolutely no option to print it at home? It says it will take 5 working days to get it sent to the United States. Does that mean I will have it in my possession within 5 working days or they will send it out within 5 working days and then however long it takes to get to me from then? I just want to order it with enough time!

Thank you so much for your time and help! I have been searching this forum and studying the map for weeks and I am just so confused! I sincerely appreciate your help!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 June 2016 at 11:41:24 #853048

Thanks for joining us mlfoxall!

1. Yes, all of that is covered. If you download the map here you’ll find an explanation of covered routes in the upper left corner. Basically all solid red, yellow, black and white lines are fully covered. The colors just indicate different modes of transport, but that’s not relevant. Dotted lines are discounted. Any other lines, like grey ones, or not covered. Apart from that, the linked page also explains the discounts on the major attractions in text.

2. It’s free to Saanen and 50% off beyond that.

3. It’s not free for children, see the Price tab. You do not need a Swiss Family Card; it does not work with this pass. A Swiss Family Pass does not exist. In your case you can best buy a Junior travelcard. It works with the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland and in the rest of the country. You can obtain it at a staffed station in Switzerland.

4. It does not cover much around Luzern because that’s not in the Bernese Oberland. I assume you’ll be able to figure it out with the above explanations. If not, just let me know.

5. There is no print at home option that I know of. You will receive the pass within 5 days after ordering. If you order well in advance they usually hold the order until 2 weeks before you travel, but if you don’t want that you can ask for immediately delivery in the Notes box. Please see http://www.swissrailways.com/ en/products/regionalbe rneseoberlandpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2016 at 2:16:55 #853049

Thank you SO much! This was so helpful! 🙂

Addition question for question #2- With the Golden Pass does it cover travel going from Interlaken to Lucern? I know it does covers Lucern to Interlaken, but we need it to go other direction (from Interlaken to Lucern.) Is that route possible?

Additional clarification to #3- Can I purchase the Junior Card at the Milan Central station for our travel to Spiez? We have an hour layover so that would be perfect. Or can I only purchase it in Switzerland? I want to be able to use it with the Berner Oberland pass to get the best deal. Also, if I can only do it in Spiez, how long will it take to get it? We have 9 minutes till our next connection (Spiez to Interlaken OST) . I am assuming that isn’t enough time?

Thank you again for all of your help!! I sincerely appreciate it!!!!!

Annika
    7104 posts
    14 June 2016 at 6:37:55 #853050

Hi mlfoxall,

2. The Golden Pass is not a rail pass. It is a route. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass. You can travel in any direction.

3. I don’t think so, but you can try. You can buy it in Switzerland, e.g. in Brig. You need to change trains there anyway because the Regional-Pass only includes the regional route Brig – Kandersteg – Spiez (see the map), not the fast direct route trains from Italy would take. You will need to present your passports. It may take 5 minutes only, but it depends on the queue for the ticket office. As explained by Arno you can order the Regional-Pass beforehand, so that will save you time. Unfortunately the Junior travelcard is not available online so that’s the only one you need to purchase locally.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2016 at 4:42:15 #853051

Thank you so much!! This was so helpful! You have helped me save some money! Thank you!!!!

One last question for clarification.. I was on the SBB site to book my trip and there are multiple (10) name options that have the word Brig in them. I want the one that says just “Brig”, correct? This is from Milan Central to my final destination being Wengen. Milan- Brig- Spiez, etc… Thank you again!! You both are so great and helpful!!

Annika
    7104 posts
    15 June 2016 at 5:45:03 #853052

I’m glad that was useful! You only need the SBB site to check train schedules. There’s nothing you need to book/buy there. All you need is a ticket Milan – Brig, which can be purchased from any of the sites listed here. The Junior travelcards can be purchased in Brig. And you will already have the Regional-Pass which covers your trip from Brig via Kandersteg and Spiez to Wengen. It’s a much more scenic ride than the fast route by the way. Be sure to sit on the left.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2016 at 3:16:04 #853053

Thank you so much!!! You are so helpful and informative!! And thanks for the tip on siting on the left!! I really appreciate it!!!! 🙂

• The thread ‘Berner Oberland pass coverage cities and kids’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.