Trip report Bernese Oberland area

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2016 at 13:43:26 #809813

Using this site was a wonderful help for our trip. The Bernese Oberland rail pass is great! No hassles in showing it to person punching tickets. Nice not having to buy tickets every day. Saved money. Good to have for the cable cars, buses and cogwheel trains. My son had an app on his phone, that was included in his plan, that allowed us to check schedules and platform numbers ahead of time. Handy when you have a quick change on the trains. It helped us synchronize our travel when switching from trains to other modes of transportation. See if your phone plan has it. It was free in our case.

Best hike for my wife and I (in our 60’s) was the Panoramaweg. Take the cable car to Mannlichen and hike downhill to Kleine Scheidegg. Beautiful! Take the train from there. Had a couple places where rock had slid over the path but we navigated it just fine. Walking the opposite direction was uphill all the way and harder on you if you aren’t much of a hiker.

Get reservations before going to the Jungfrau. They have two lines. One for people with reservations and one who don’t. The non-reservations waited a long time before they got on the cogwheel. We were there the second week of July and it was quite busy.

If you stay in Grindelwald, make sure you know the location of your hotel/airbnb before making a reservation. Several places are up a steep hill and tough to walk up and down. The last bus up the hill left at 6:52pm and if you miss it there’s quite an uphill walk. Take the lift to First in Grindelwald. Beautiful without going on the walkway that hangs over the cliff. Make sure you’re ready to hop in and out of the lift cars here. Not much hesitation without banging into your legs (that’s for older people).

Take the easy walk from the Stechelberg bus stop/cable car station, down from Murren and Gimmelwald, across the river to the waterfall and on to a nice cafe for lunch. Easy walk and beautiful views of the Lauterbrunnen Valley.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 August 2016 at 15:40:14 #854841

Hello Wilburvon,

Many thanks for reporting back here about your trip. Your tips and experiences will be very helpful to other travelers. By the way, if your son was using the SBB app: that’s free for everyone. I added a link in your post to a page with useful apps. The only thing to keep an eye on is whether one has an affordable data plan. Details about that can be found here.

I’m glad you enjoyed your trip, and the rail pass too. Thanks again!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 August 2016 at 6:26:18 #854842

Hi Wilburvon-

Indeed, a quite useful report. Thanks.

<<“Best hike for my wife and I (in our 60’s) was the Panoramaweg. Take the cable car to Mannlichen and hike downhill to Kleine Scheidegg. Beautiful! Take the train from there. Had a couple places where rock had slid over the path but we navigated it just fine. Walking the opposite direction was uphill all the way and harder on you if you aren’t much of a hiker.”>>

Indeed. You are hiking at approximately 2230 to 2060 meters ( about 1.4 miles high, if you use English units.) . What would be an easy uphill walk at lower altitudes becomes more difficult when the the air is thin at high altitudes, unless you have become accommodated to the lower available oxygen content.. And, personally, I find that the way the Eiger grows over you as you approach it makes the walk toward KS much better.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Trip report Bernese Oberland area’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.