Bernese Oberland late April cable cars operating?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 14:59:49 #815047

Hi,

I will be visiting Switzerland on the 26th of April. My itinerary is like this.

26th- Day 1 – reach Basel around 10 am. Then take train to interlaken and reach lauterbrunnen.

Stroll in Lauterbrunnen at leisure.

27th Day 2: Take cable car to Grrutschalp and hike to Murren. Cable car to Sclithorn

Come down to Gimmelwald and further to Stechelberg using cable cars and then walk back through the beautiful valley

28th Day 3: Train to Wengen and cable car to Manlichen and from there cable car to grindelwald, back by train to Lauterbrunnen.

29th Day 4: Flight is at 3:45pm from Basel.

Kindly advice if any of the cable cars or transportation means will not be available during my visit as per the above itinerary. I heard about maintenance work in some part. Kindly confirm so that I can plan my trip.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 16:43:06 #880362

Hi Avirupg15,

Yes a few of those are closed. Wengen to Männlichen and to Grindelwald will be closed. Schilthorn is also closed from April 23 -27 – but you could go on the 28th.

We have a forum thread on the topic here for more details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 17:33:46 #880363

Thanks for your quick response. That’s sad. So is there any other way to reach Manlichen??

And also what about the cable car from Grindelwald to Frst during that time??

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 17:50:53 #880364

What were you hoping to do in Männlichen?

First is operating yes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 17:56:34 #880365

Last time I took the hike to klieneschiedeg from Manlichen.. I know that trail will be closed now. But see how the park looks with all the snow.. can you suggest an alternative??

Arno
    15484 posts
    31 March 2018 at 8:57:10 #880366

Hi Avirupg15,

Alternatives depend on the amount of snow left when you’re there. It might be possible to walk from the train stop Alpiglen down to Grindelwald, for example. Do note that this is a 600 m descend, so a bit hard on the knees. You can of course walk in the other direction as well. You can check the conditions at any tourist office when you’re there, and they will also know about alternatives. Staffed train stations can also offer help.

• The thread ‘Bernese Oberland late April cable cars operating?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.