Bernina Express Tirano – St. Moritz

• Coutadafabio
    Participant
    4 posts
    9 June 2022 at 14:42:18 #827460

Hi.

I’m travelling to Milan in August and i want to make the trip in the bernina express from Tirano to St. Moritz, and comeback in the same day.

I have a few doubts about this trip, if someone could give a help, i would be really thankfull. The second class coaches have panoramic windows?When i’m buying the tickets in the rhb site, i have to tirano options to choose (tirano stazione and tirano). Which one is the right choice? Is it worth it to pay almost the double to make the trip in first class? Finally, can i go to St. Moritz in the bernina express and comeback in a regular train to tirano? I searched for trains departuring form St. Moritz to Milan and i find the trainline site that has a lot of options at a lower price that the bernina express. Is that information trustworhty? If it is, would make the all trip a lote cheaper and that would fit better in my budget. Sorry for al the questions, but i’m kind of a newbie on planing trips.

Thanks a lot.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2022 at 18:58:21 #943060

Hi Coutadafabio and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

Yes, also the second class has panoramic windows on the Bernina Express. You can buy your tickets here: http://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress/tickets.

The Bernina Express travels from Chur to Lugano. It has several sections:

• St Moritz (or Chur) to Tirano via Pontresina (by train): Chur to Tirano is the classic route, but there’s also a train from St. Moritz. All trains cross the Bernina Pass and end or begin in Tirano. The route from St. Moritz takes about 2,5 hours, and does not include the north of Graubünden.
    • Tirano to Lugano (by bus)
    • Here is the route description: http://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress/gettingthere

Yes, sure, you can travel by the Bernina Express and come by regular train to Tirano. As you are going to Italy, have a look at this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy. This will helps you how to get the best ticket to Milan.

If you have a Saver Day Pass for your day trip, you can save money. The Saver Day pass includes the Bernina Express ticket and the regular train ticket, all you need is just to reserve your seats on the Bernina Express. You can buy these here:

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2022 at 23:11:21 #943061

<removed by moderator>

Coutadafabio
    Participant
    4 posts
    10 June 2022 at 0:35:10 #943062

Thank you for the answers. I’ve looked the prices of the Saver Day Pass and there are a big diference of the prices, dependind on the day i choose.

For instance, the price for the 1st of August is 87 CHF for first class, but the price for the 25th of August (day i’m planning to make the trip) is 198CHF. It is a big diference. Anyway, if ended up buying this pass for fist 1st class, it means that in that day, all the trips that i wil make that are cover by the pass will be in first class coaches?

For instance, if i’ll make the trip to St. Moritz from Tirano in the bernina express departuring at 10.06 and then i’ll make the journey back to tirano in the regular train leaving St. Moritz at 16.48, it will be cover by the Saver Day pass, right?

Othe doubt i have is if i reserve seats today for the bernina express, which is the deadline to buy the tickets?

Anna
    6355 posts
    10 June 2022 at 8:02:45 #943063

Hi Coutadafabio,

That’s right. If you purchase a 1st Class Saver Day Pass, you can travel in first class coaches on any train for the whole day.

You can buy the tickets up to the last few minutes before travel. However it is always a good idea to buy your tickets in advance. A Saver Day Pass in particular cost substantially cheaper the earlier you book it and they do run out.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15482 posts
    10 June 2022 at 10:52:10 #943064

Hi 1960man,

Thanks for your post. Perhaps you missed my comment here: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/construction-on-montreux-to-zweisimmen-line (Jun 4, 2022 – 1:55 PM), where I asked to post information like this in one new thread (per route/train). Then you can link to it instead of repeating it across different posts.

Thanks for helping out!

• The thread ‘Bernina Express Tirano – St. Moritz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.