Bernina Express vs other trains Milan to Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2017 at 14:05:43 #811328

Hi, I am travelling to Lucern from Milan on 15th of June 2017 and plan to travel by train. the Bernina express journey seems like a journey not to b missed with its maze of tunnels and bridges. But the drawback appears to be the changes I would need to make to reach Lucern. Whereas, the other trains give me the option of a direct train journey without disembarking and changing the trains. Just wondering if the train ride would be as beautiful as that of Bernina Express. And which one would be cost and time effective.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 April 2017 at 18:00:15 #861165

Welcome to MySwissAlps Junketjunkie!

Direct trains from Milan to Lucerne do not offer nearly as wonderful scenery as the Bernina Express. Those trains cross a long tunnel, the longest in the world in fact, so there’s nothing to see while you cross the highest peaks of the Alps. A scenic alternative on the same route is the Gotthard Panorama Express, but that’s not direct either (2 changes). I’d pick that one or the Bernina Express if you have time. The changes are not problematic assuming you can handle your luggage yourself.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2017 at 10:49:37 #861166

Hi Junketjunkie,

Gotthard Panorama Express only runs on weekends/public holidays at the time you are travelling. If you are not worried about missing out on the steamer to Fluelen you can follow the same route on regular trains ( ie not special panorama cars). Check the SBB timetable at http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l Look up Luzern to Lugano via Airolo. Change at Lugano for a direct train to Milan.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2017 at 10:52:06 #861167

Hi Junketjunkie,

Sorry just realised you are travelling in the opposite direction. Still you would only need to change once at Lugano. Bernina Express is a very long way round.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2017 at 17:19:16 #861168

Hi,

thanks for the replies. So if I travel by the regular train(SBB) from Milan to Lugano and then to Lucern , I will not be missing on any of the mesmerising scenery.please confirm.

further, just confirm that the Swiss rail pass would b valid for my journey from Milan to Lucern. I plan to buy the Swiss travel pass for 8 days. Would the seat reservation be needed for this journey?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2017 at 22:03:53 #861169

Hi Junketjunkie,

The route is the same so the scenery is the same. Attached is a sample route. I forgot to mention an additional change at Erstfeld. The only direct Lugano to Luzern goes via the Gotthard Base Tunnel so not much scenery.

If you want to do the steamer from Fluelen you can also find that on the regular timetable.

Swiss Travel Pass is only valid for inside Switzerland not from Milan to border.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2017 at 23:23:03 #861170

If you wanted to do the Bernina Express you can go Milan – Tirano – Chur -Thalwil – Luzern. A long but doable day with only 3 changes BEX departs Tirano 14:26. Trenord Re_8 goes direct Milan to Tirano. Tirano onwards all covered by STP but need to make and pay for BEX reservation – CHF28/person.

Annika
    7116 posts
    11 April 2017 at 11:17:14 #861171

Hi Junketjunkie,

The Swiss Travel Pass covers your journey Milan-Lucerne from Chiasso (if you pick the Gottard Express) or Tirano (if you pick the Bernina Express). Please review the downloadable map at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity.

• The thread ‘Bernina Express vs other trains Milan to Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.