Best passes for Zurich & Bernese Oberland

• LordLynnaeus
    Participant
    2 posts
    14 August 2016 at 8:42:27 #809877

Hello, I have the following plan in mind. I know there is an excel sheet for tabulating & comparing costs between the various cards, but as I read on, I find more & more card types such as the Zurich/ Schauffhausen Flextax card, 9 o’clock card, Bernese Oberland pass, in addition to the Swiss travel pass for 3,4 days, half fard etc that it becomes rather overwhelming to calculate. Also I read that some cards like the 9 o’clock Zurich pass will only cover up to Schloss Laufen am Rhein & not beyond to Schauffhausen, Stein am Rhein, so that only adds to the confusion.

27 Aug Sat: Zurich airport to Zurich city hotel

28 Aug Sun: Zurich city hotel to Rhinefalls, then cruise to Stein am Rhein. Stein am Rhein back to Zurich city

29 Aug Mon: Zurich city hotel to Lauterbrunnen hotel. Tour Lauterbrunnen area, Staubbach falls, etc, something similar to proposed itinerary for day 4 on http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip/doityourself/sa mpleitineraries/bestof theswissalps

30 Aug Tues: Lauterbrunnen hotel to Jungfraujoch & back (probably follow proposed itinerary as laid out for day 3 on http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip/doityourself/sa mpleitineraries/bestof theswissalps)

31 Aug Wed: Lauterbrunnen hotel to Schilthorn & back (probably follow proposed itinerary as laid out for day 2 on http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip/doityourself/sa mpleitineraries/bestof theswissalps)

1 Sept Thurs Explore more of Lauterbrunnen valley before checking out of hotel & heading to Basel for conference

2-8 Sept Basel conference

9 Sept Basel to Rome for a land tour starting in Rome

What would be an ideal combition of travel cards for such an itinerary?

(1) Zurich/Schauffhausen Flextax to cover the 1 day (28 Aug) excursion to Rhinefalls & Stein am Rhein cruise + Swiss 3/4 day pass / half day pass?

(2) Zurich/Schauffhausen Flextax to cover the 1 day (28 Aug) excursion to Rhinefalls & Stein am Rhein cruise + Bernese Oberland pass

(3) Swiss pass all the way (4 days at least)

(4) Swiss half fare + other passes?

Would appreciate very much any advice. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 August 2016 at 12:04:51 #855109

Hi LordLynnaeus,

Thanks for your post! I would suggest a Swiss Half Fare Card if you don’t mind to buy tickets (or local passes like the ones you encountered) as you go. Reason 1: a 5-day Swiss Travel Pass would be ideal (August 28 – September 1), but you can only choose from 3, 4, 8 or 15 days. Reason 2: A Swiss Half Fare Card is valid for a month, so trips you may make in or near Basel will be discounted too. If you travel to Rome by train the Swiss leg will be discounted by 50%.

Train station staff can help you picking the right day pass, if available/required on any particular day. You don’t need to sort that out in advance.

The Swiss Half Fare Card can be printed at home by visiting http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, be sure to pick the “Online Ticket” shipping option. You will receive it through e-mail in 1 to 3 business days.

LordLynnaeus
    Participant
    2 posts
    14 August 2016 at 17:38:33 #855110

Hey, thanks for replying. I am inclined to think that Half fare is cheapest, though less convenient – having to purchase tickets daily compared to the Swiss travel pass.

Do you know whether the FlexTax day pass (which can be bought at half fare if I have the Swiss half fare card) covers boat trips from Schaffhausen to Stein am Rhein or only trains & buses?

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 August 2016 at 9:39:57 #855111

You’re welcome!

In that case you can consider a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass for August 29 to September 1. You can obtain it the same way I described for the Swiss Half Fare Card.

As for August 28: Flextax only includes the area around Schaffhausen. I have not used it myself, but Stein am Rhein is included too, so the boat ride should be included as well. But the ride to and from Zurich is not included. I think what you need is the Flextax-ZVV day pass, which includes the same thing but also the Zurich area. Just explain about your plans at the ticket office and they’ll sort it out for you.

On August 27 you can just buy a single ride to Zurich from a machine.

• The thread ‘Best passes for Zurich & Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.