Best rail pass to choose for 2 days Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2019 at 21:30:46 #819911

Hello – I will be visiting the BO/LV for 2 full days (and part of another) this summer. I understand this is a loaded question but will ask anyway.

Assuming great weather and maximizing daylight, I would like to get to the top of the Schilthorn early in the morning and make my way back down through the course of the day. I will hike some and I will use gondolas and lifts to minimize climbs.

I will then do the same on the next day, on the Jungfrau.

With this in mind, is it even possible to cover enough ground on each of these days to buy a full STP (enough daylight, enough lifts, etc.) I understand the discount is only 25% for the Jungfrau.

If a STP doesn’t make sense in the BO/LV (not covering enough ground each day?) then I would opt for the Swiss Half Fare.

Appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 February 2019 at 21:54:31 #904144

Hello doveswiss and Welcome to MySwissAlps

You can’t really select a pass based solely on your activities in one region (assuming you are visiting others).

Without knowing what your overall itinerary looks like it is difficult to offer advice except to say you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

Also look at http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpasses as alternatives to the Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2019 at 22:39:15 #904145

Thanks rockoyster – appreciate the quick response. Perhaps I’m alone but I find the Swiss ticketing and train system confusing (OK I KNOW I’M NOT ALONE!!!! 🙂 ).

Where else am I going? Ok, aside from 2.5 days in BO/LV:

Going from Chamonix-Vevey one day via Mont-Blanc Express. My understanding is only the STP has value, i.e. there is no discount for the SHF (since it originates in France). I may want to stop off during this day trip and see some side areas.

The next day I will explore the Vevey area, likely going no further than ~50 miles. I think a local Swiss Riviera card would probably get me where I wanted to go (Montreux, Lavaux, mountain hikes?).

The next day I will go Vevey-Gruyeres-Zurich from around 8:00-3:00, and fly home at 5:00.

So ~5.5 days in Switzerland. If my legs hold out I intend to be very active and see as much as I can, even if that means less hiking and more trains/lifts etc. I can hike more next time – or at home! Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2019 at 0:23:33 #904146

The Swiss travel system is not inherently confusing.

Essentially, put simply:

As such the collection of ways to buy the right to travel on Swiss trains is no more complex than in any other country.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 February 2019 at 6:51:09 #904147

Hi Doveswiss,

There are indeed lots of options, which is overwhelming at first but also a good thing as different people have different travel plans. I think in your case I would narrow it down to the below options. The links provide all information including coverage maps, how to use the pass, where to buy, etc:

The links in the prior posts will help you do further research if you want to.

• The thread ‘Best rail pass to choose for 2 days Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.