Best route and pass Munich – Lucerne – Interlaken?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 3:58:59 #809233

Hi every one,

Really need a help. I am planning to travel from Munich to Switzerland from 10 October 2016 to 16 October 2016. And I will depart from Zurich in the evening.

I would like to visit:

1. Zurich
    2. Lucerne(Lake Lucern)
    3. Interlaken
    4. Jungfrau
    5. Basel(Optional)

What is the best route and cheapest way for me?If Swiss Saver Pass, Regional Passes or Half Fare Card, which is the best option available for me?I would like to visit the museum too.

Should I stay in interlaken or Lucern or Zurich which one is good to spend more time in there? And please let me know if any other interesting and scenic places for hike and walk?

Thank you so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 May 2016 at 5:59:26 #852193

Hi monkey224, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would skip Basel and Zurich for such a short stay. Lucerne and Interlaken are close to the mountains and close to the places in the Alps you probably want to see. The below pages explain about these towns, what to do/see there, and suggested hotels:

You’ve already found the best order (route). Further details about train schedules can be found in the timetable.

The Swiss Saver Pass no longer exists. It has been replaced by the Swiss Travel Pass: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass. I am not sure which museum you mean, but many museums are included in this pass for free. Before you pick a pass though, you first need a finalized itinerary, including all day trips. Then you can make a choice as explained here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 16:05:19 #852194

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your reply!

1) Do you know only Eurolines bus can go to Lucerne or not? If yes, maybe I need to delay 1 day in Munich. Because it has only one a day for Lucerne, and it will be on 11 October to Lucerne only.

2) And I have planned my trip as below , would you please kindly comment:

Day 1-Munich > Lucerne (Mount Pilatus or Mt. Rigi, which mount should I pick?Or I can go both?) ~ Eurolines (Is it free if I hold Swiss Pass)

Day 2-Lucerne>Interlaken(Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Grütschalp – Mürren – Schilthorn – Stechelberg – Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken) ~ (From the Schilthorn website, seems like 40 with a Swiss Pass)

Day 3-Interlaken>Jaufraujoch(Jungfraujoch Package,stay overnight)(Is any discount if I hold Swiss Pass?)

Day 4-Jaufraujoch > Interlaken>Lucerne(Lake Luzern,City sightseeing, any other suggestion?)

Day 5-Lucerne>Zurich(City sightseeing, departure)

3) If I buy 4 days Swiss Travel Pass, which days should I use the Swiss Travel Pass? Please suggest me the best and cheapest travel itinerary. Moreover, should I buy the Swiss Travel Pass now? Or it might have special offer later?

Thank you!

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 May 2016 at 16:47:50 #852195

You’re welcome monkey224!

1) I don’t know much about Eurolines but I do think they offer a bus from Munich to Lucerne so you can skip Zurich. Please see http://www.eurolines.de/en/in ternationale-fernbusse/fahrplaene/b uslinien-deutschland-schweiz.

2) You can’t visit two mountains after arrival, as I suppose you only have the afternoon. Please see the Pilatus and Rigi pages for details so you can make a choice. For Swiss Travel Pass discounts (you can’t buy a Swiss Pass, that’s for Swiss citizens only), please see the page I gave you in my previous post and go to “Where it’s valid”. The Lucerne page I already gave you has lots of suggestions for things to do (click “What to do”).

3) A Swiss Travel Pass is for consecutive days. In your case you can best use it day 1 to 4, and buy a single ticket on day 5. I don’t know if there will be any promotions the coming months. As soon as there’s a promotion you can find it on our Swiss Travel Pass page, and here in the forum.

I hope this was useful!

• The thread ‘Best route and pass Munich – Lucerne – Interlaken?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.