Best Swiss border towns to travel (near Zurich)?

• Qaphsiel
    Participant
    11 posts
    2 August 2022 at 17:19:44 #827956

Hi!

I am truly happy to have found this group.

I am even more excited that I will be landing Zurich in September, from Malaysia. Planning a trip with my 67yo mom can be overwhelming. My mom has mild arthritis. We couldn’t visit spots that require long walking. Hence I’ll be self-driving for the entire trip.

Immediately after landing, I plan to drive cross-country to visit a town nearby the Swiss border for 2-3 days. A travel influencer recommended Fislis in France. It’s quiet, beautiful and residential town. But it seems too distant from other places.

Can you recommend another cross-border town we can go to, maybe within 1hr30 mins of driving from Zurich?

Thanks a million!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6376 posts
    2 August 2022 at 18:22:57 #945081

Hi Qaphsiel,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

From Zurich (https://www.myswissalps.com/zurich) you can easily drive to Konstanz in Germany via Meersburg. Konstanz is a big city but Meersburg is a charming little town across the German border. You can reach it via a short trip on a ferry.

If you’re interested in exploring medieval and historic towns, you can find them aplenty across Switzerland. Some suggestions here: http://www.myswissalps.com/wheretogo/towns

Also if this is your first time driving in Switzerland, you might find the information on this page useful: http://www.myswissalps.com/car

Hope this gets you started.

Regards,

Anna

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    3 August 2022 at 3:35:16 #945082

Hi,

I’d also recommend Konstanz. It is a very pretty town with a lot to see and it is pretty flat. Pro Tipp – don’t stand behind the statue of the six legged horse at the Kaiser Fountain in the Market Square – I’ll let you find out why. You can also visit Mainau which is called the “Flower Island”. It is essentially a botanical garden with wonderful topiary sculptures and a butterfly house. Historical Meersburg is a short ferry trip away, but the streets leading up from the habour are quite steep and may be a bit of a challenge for someone not fully mobile.

Konstanz is actually part of Germany even though it is on the Swiss side of the Rhine. If you are driving from Zurich, you first drive to the Swiss city of Kreuzlingen before crossing the border which separates Kreuzlingen from Konstanz.

I hope this helps

Have fun!

Alan

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 August 2022 at 6:15:36 #945083

Hi Qpashiel,

Just thought I’d bring this car itinerary in northern Switzerland to your attention: http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/sampleitineraries/allseasondrivingtour. Whether segments of it are doable for you, depends on the base town you pick. But it’s full of charming historical Swiss towns and pretty lakes, so it might give you some ideas for possible destinations in Switzerland.

Qaphsiel
    Participant
    11 posts
    3 August 2022 at 17:27:14 #945084

Thank you for replying and being the first friend of mine in this forum!

Konstanz looks charming.

But my next stop after a cross-border stay would be Interlaken. I am trying to avoid driving Zurich – Konstanz (Germany) – Zurich – then Interlaken.

I am thinking is there a cross-border town in between north/south Zurich and Interlaken?

Qaphsiel
    Participant
    11 posts
    3 August 2022 at 17:30:43 #945085

Hi Alan,

Love your pro tipp. Your beautiful writing makes me want to visit Mainau and Konstanz immediately.

My next stop is Interlaken. I am considering if I should drive to Konstanz and then come back to Interlaken.

I might plan again my trip since both of you recommended Konstanz .

Thank you so much!

Warmly,

Qaphsiel

Qaphsiel
    Participant
    11 posts
    3 August 2022 at 17:32:07 #945086

Hi Arno,

The itineraries are very useful! Massive thanks to you.

Warmly,

Qaphsiel

Lynda
    Participant
    26 posts
    3 August 2022 at 18:17:11 #945087

It’s not that far to drive between Zurich/Konstanz and then tto Interlaken. (I concur with Meersburg – lovely place – beautiful Hotel Romantik that has great food and balconies overlooking the lake too) Take the ferry from Konstanz to Meersburg, it’s only around 20-25 minutes.

We’eve done the Zurich Konstanz frequently for the afternoon.

Qaphsiel
    Participant
    11 posts
    4 August 2022 at 17:29:10 #945088

Thank you for your suggestion Blig!

I would love to visit Konstanz.

Is there another town you would recommend to drop by between Konstanz and Interlaken?

Anna
    6376 posts
    5 August 2022 at 12:21:13 #945089

Hi Qaphsiel,

Interlaken is not located anywhere near the border so it is difficult to plan a cross-border trip without making switchbacks. Alternative to Konstanz would be to drive from Zurich to Basel (which is right at the French and German border), then Basel to Interlaken.

Hope this gives you more options to consider for your itinerary.

regards,

Anna

Lynda
    Participant
    26 posts
    5 August 2022 at 20:39:28 #945090

I would take the road through Luzern, lovely city with history. Then go via Saarnen over the Brunigpass and past Brienz to Interlaken.

Don’t forget the other side of Interlaken is the Thunersee with Thun and Spiez. A drive round the lake can be done leisurely in a day taking in both places and a boat ride. A trip up to Kandersteg and the Blausee via Frutigen is also a nice day trip.

• The thread ‘Best Swiss border towns to travel (near Zurich)?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.