Best time of day to be at Jungfraujoch?

• Susita
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 July 2022 at 18:51:21 #827747

We are going up to the Jungfraujoch on September 19. We realize that the weather may or may not cooperate, but this is the day available for us to go. We don’t really want to leave super early if we don’t have to – maybe leave at 10:15 and arrive at 11:45 in time for lunch. What is the weather pattern like? More cloud cover as the day goes on? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Danke!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    11 July 2022 at 22:52:59 #944200

Hi Susita,

To be honest I don’t really know what is the best time of the day to visit Jungfraujoch. I personally would prefer doing the excursion early in the morning so I can come down before lunch and spend the rest of the day exploring other places.

I think weather is also a strong factor. I suggest you check the weather forecast and mountain webcams a day or 2 before your trip and choose which time of the day would suit you best.

Regards,

Anna

Susita
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 July 2022 at 22:59:29 #944201

Thank you, Anna. Excellent thoughts!

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    12 July 2022 at 15:00:00 #944202

We visited in Mid September and we went fairly early. Up on the top around 9:30 or so and it was almost cloudless. We stayed for a couple of hours and as we were leaving we noticed some clouds starting to come in. A couple of hours later (we could see from where we were lower down the Mtn.) the cloud cover was much more pronounced.

From my understanding of the way clouds and Mtns. interact, as the day heats up, the clouds start to form and congregate around the Mtns. Unless there is an active storm system, usually your best bet for viewing is morning to late morning.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 July 2022 at 11:11:20 #944203

Hi Susita,

On typical hot summer days, the weather often follows the daily pattern described by pkerr. Of course you’ll have to check weather forecasts for your travel date, which you can best do the evening before departure or even on the same morning (https://www.myswissalps.com/weather/forecast). If the forecast turns out to be somewhat like that pattern, early morning is indeed you best shot. If you take one of the earliest possible connections, you may also beat the crowds which is an additional advantage.

Susita
    Participant
    8 posts
    13 July 2022 at 15:16:53 #944204

Hello Arno and Pkerr – thank you so much for these details. This is exactly what I was looking for – how do the clouds change as the day heats up. Also, beating the crowds sounds like a great idea!

Thanks so much!

• The thread ‘Best time of day to be at Jungfraujoch?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.