Best time to visit Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2016 at 9:52:30 #810249

Hi all,

1. I would be traveling in late December to visit Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. When would be the best time to visit them? early in the morning? once sunrises?

2. As I’ll be in Grindelwald for 3 days, any recommendations what to do if the 3 days weather were bad?

3. Also I’ll be in Zurich on 27DEC2016 but will only arrive late at 7.40pm. I would be staying near the airport and the following day i would be taking the train to Grindelwald. Anywhere to recommend if i want to visit Zurich city for that night? probably around 9pm, is Zurich city far from the airport?

Advance Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2016 at 14:34:30 #856631

Hello,

I just returned and also had a night to go see Zurich. We took the tram (very easy many lines, just ask at your hotel how to find the station) to Central. That takes you to the river and train station and the start of old Zurich and plenty of areas of shopping, dinner and nightlife. You can follow the river to the lake easily there as well.

If you have bad weather and can’t go to the top, you might have good weather down below or on the lakes. The valley, waterfalls, lakes are all good options. We had days where it was clear top to bottom and days when the top was clear and the bottom was not. Just need to be flexible with your days.

Ellen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2016 at 14:38:50 #856632

Forgot to add that we preferred (due to sun location), Jungfrau in the am and Schilthorn later in day. If you have a sunny day your pictures will be happier!

Ellen

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 October 2016 at 1:26:40 #856633

Hi Mickeyshane-

<<“3. Also I’ll be in Zurich on 27DEC2016 but will only arrive late at 7.40pm. I would be staying near the airport and the following day i would be taking the train to Grindelwald. Anywhere to recommend if i want to visit Zurich city for that night? probably around 9pm, is Zurich city far from the airport?”<<

Not sure if this has come up in earlier posts, so, if we have answered these kinds of questions, previously, please forgive the repetition.

The time table can answer your question about getting to Zürich:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

A map helps, too:

map.search.ch/

Zoom in.

Most of Zürich shuts down before 9 PM, although there are some places with late night activity. What do you want to do?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2016 at 1:31:34 #856634

Hi slowpoke,

I would just like to visit the city for some phototaking or some late night cafes or christmas markets..

Not sure if its open or avaliable.

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2016 at 1:33:33 #856635

Thanks ellen, great to hear that zurich still active at night. I would just like to take a walk there to see the city.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 October 2016 at 8:23:21 #856636

Hi Mickeyshane.

Before Christmas the Bahnhofstrasse has a beautiful lighting decoration. I hesitated before, because I don’t know if it continues to the new year.

Probably does.

You’ll need a fast lens and good high ISO capability. Even a tripod is not terribly useful, because the lights move if there is any breeze.

There is a good Christmas market in Zürich main station before Christmas. I suspect it will be shut down when you are there, but perhaps you will be lucky.

By 9PM many of the shops/stalls tend to close for the night.

There are bars and cafes open late. Walk up the Niederdorfstrasse from Central into the Niederdorf – plenty there. Central is just across the bridge from the main station- 5 minutes walk at most.. (All the tram stops have names, and the name of the “hub” is Central.

Check a map: map.search.ch/?pos=683483,247957&z=10 24

Sunset is at about 1640 then. It gets dark early.

http://www.timeanddate.com/su n/switzerland/zurich?month=12&year=2016

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2016 at 8:30:39 #856637

Hi slowpoke,

Thanks for the info..

I cant seem to find the trams and train operating time.. any idea what time the public transport closes in zurich?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 October 2016 at 8:47:51 #856638

<<“I cant seem to find the trams and train operating time.. any idea what time the public transport closes in zurich?”>>

Check this link:

http://www.zuerich.com/en/vis it/public-transport

Trams arun every 8 minutes on most lines during the day, but in the evening the frequency decreases.

Special night services run from 0100 until 0500 with limited service.

If you want train information for Switzerland, use:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

As well as mainline and excursion trains, It also includes S-Bahnen….city/suburban commuter trains, with individual station names, such as Zürich Altstetten. These are alternatives to the buses and trams for some trips.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2016 at 11:41:41 #856639

The area Slowpoke recommends is where we ended up at night.

We were there on a Thursday night and all the restaurants and bars were crowded.

The tram we took ran every 7 minutes and then later on our way home I believe it was every 20. There are signs at each station telling you when the next one will arrive.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 October 2016 at 12:21:00 #856640

Ok thanks both great help!!

• The thread ‘Best time to visit Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.