Boat trip to Flüelen & include Pilatus & Rigi?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 0:37:46 #816515

Hello

I plan on doing the boat trip on the Gotthard express to Luzern . Is it possible to incorporate visit to Mt Pilatus and Mt Rigi via cog wheel train and Gondola and cable car in one day?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 June 2018 at 1:49:12 #887698

Hello John,

You can do Pilatus and Rigi in one (longish) day but not in addition to the Gotthard Panorama Express on the same day (if that’s what you meant).

The GPE does not arrive at Luzern until 14:47.

You could get off the boat at Vitznau and go up Rigi and come down to Weggis and continue on to Luzern on another boat. But I’m guessing you would be carting luggage which might make that plan problematic.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 4:47:34 #887699

Hello

The GPE arrives at Flüelen at 13.55 from Luzern . Can I catch the regional or fast train from Fluelen to Rigi Klum and then the Cable car to Kaltbad Weggis , and then boat to Luzern .

What time is the last cable car leave Kaltbad Weggis and then the boat time . And do Mt Pilatis the next day. No I won’t have any Luggage. Not sure if this is a good plan or the right route to do this ,just a thought. Like to hear your thoughts please, thanks John

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 June 2018 at 5:24:59 #887700

The GPE from Lugano arrives at 11:47. There is only one GPE per day in either direction.

From Flüelen you can catch a train to Arth Goldhau and from there you can train to Rigi Kulm. From there you can train to Rigi Kaltbad and cable car to Weggis and boat from there.

The SBB timetable will show you the options for each leg including cable cars and boats.

Having said all that I would say the boat trip from Flüelen is the best part of the GPE.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 5:33:36 #887701

OK thank you , but I’m catching the 11.12 am GPE at Luzern going to Fluelen and then work my way back to Luzern via Rigi

Thanks again for you assistance. John

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 June 2018 at 5:42:31 #887702

Aah I see. That boat trip is not normally referred to as the GPE as it is pretty much just a regular paddle steamer that links up with the GPE which is a train. So I assumed you were coming from the other direction. 🤓

On the way from Luzern to Flüelen you can weave Rigi in on your way there or your way back.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 6:01:03 #887703

thank you

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 June 2018 at 0:30:53 #887704

<<“I plan on doing the boat trip on the Gotthard express to Luzern “>>

<<“OK thank you , but I’m catching the 11.12 am GPE at Luzern going to Fluelen and then work my way back to Luzern via Rigi”>>

That is a bit confusing.

Spelling is Flüelen. Pronounced differently.

Check your schedules here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

and here:

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

The connection between boat and cableway (die Luftseilbahn, LSB) at Weggis has a substantial altitude change and a modest walk.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 1:22:49 #887705

Thank you for the information

• The thread ‘Boat trip to Flüelen & include Pilatus & Rigi?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.