Reliability of bus C-12 Menaggio Italy to Lugano

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2019 at 16:08:44 #823181

We are traveling from Varenna Italy to Lugano Switzerland (and beyond) next month. I know we can take the ferry from Varenna to Menaggio, but am wondering about the reliability of the C-12 bus from Menaggio to Lugano. A friend told me it drove right by her and another group. And, the schedule posted online at http://www.asfautonlinee.it is only through the 11th of September and we need to take it the 12th. Thanks for any assistance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    2 August 2019 at 5:31:58 #919137

Welcome to MySwissAlps, gailrobinson!

I don’t have any personal experience with this bus, so I’m afraid I can’t say anything about its reliability. As for the timetables: I too can find only winter timetables starting from September 12 at the website you linked to. Their bus connection search box doesn’t seem to function that well either. I’d expect these buses to run on September 11 too, as it would make sense for their current summer timetable to be roughly similar to the winter variant, but you may need to contact ASF Autolinee to make sure.

As an alternative you can try using the general Swiss timetable at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable for September 11. The C-12 doesn’t show up there (the Swiss timetable can’t include all foreign connections), but this is what I found:

There may be more options, but my knowledge about Italian train and bus connections is limited :-).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2019 at 16:24:50 #919138

Thank you, Annika-

We are actually wanting to take the bus on September 12th, not the 11th. I’d be interested to see where you found the winter time table for C-12 starting September 12th. Thanks again, Gail

Annika
    7103 posts
    5 August 2019 at 5:29:48 #919139

Hi Gail,

Ah, I see, I switched those dates somehow :-). I found the winter timetables following your link to ASF Autolinee, then clicking “Lines and timetables in PDF” and then “Interurban network”. You’ll then see a list of timetables valid from September 12, including the C12 connection Menaggio-Lugano. The alternatives found in the Swiss timetable can be used on September 12 too, but the C12 bus seems to be the obvious choice for your trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2019 at 15:26:07 #919140

Thanks–

• The thread ‘Reliability of bus C-12 Menaggio Italy to Lugano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.