Buy tix for others using half fare travel card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2012 at 12:45:16 #805112

Hi,

I’m planning to travel to Switzerland for 3-4 days with a group of friends this upcoming June. We’re considering between getting the half-fare travel card or the Swiss Pass. However I have some confusion with regards to the half-fare travel card.

(1) Suppose that I buy 1 card, can I buy half-fare tickets for my friends or must each of us have our own card to be eligible to buy the half-fare tickets?

(2) If indeed each of us must have our own card, and considering that each card costs 117 Euro, and there’s an ongoing promotion of 2-for-1 Swiss Saver Pass for 4 days for 208 Euro, it seems that the Swiss Saver Pass would be a more economical option. Am I right?

Any input to my questions will be greatly appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2012 at 14:50:16 #835556

Hi ,

As far as I know, the 2 for 1 Swiss Saver Pass is not valid for the travel in June, so I am not sure whether you would be able to avail this option. I think you are better off having a half fare card instead.

[quote]ilovemochi said: Hi,
    I’m planning to travel to Switzerland for 3-4 days with a group of friends this upcoming June. We’re considering between getting the half-fare travel card or the Swiss Pass. However I have some confusion with regards to the half-fare travel card.
    (1) Suppose that I buy 1 card, can I buy half-fare tickets for my friends or must each of us have our own card to be eligible to buy the half-fare tickets?
    (2) If indeed each of us must have our own card, and considering that each card costs 117 Euro, and there’s an ongoing promotion of 2-for-1 Swiss Saver Pass for 4 days for 208 Euro, it seems that the Swiss Saver Pass would be a more economical option. Am I right?
    Any input to my questions will be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2012 at 15:08:11 #835557

Thanks rahulagrin for pointing out the availability dates!!!
    But my question remains, can I buy half-fare tickets for my friends or must each of us have our own card to be eligible to buy the half-fare tickets?

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    14 April 2012 at 17:06:57 #835558

Hello ilovemochi,

Regarding your questions:
    1. Each of the travelers should have a Half Fare Card to be eligible to buy half fare tickets. For an overview of this card see this page. There you’ll find a PDF overview of the network on which the Half Fare Card is valid.
    2. Indeed, as rahulagrin wrote, the 2 for 1 Swiss Saver Pass can only be purchased if you travel in the months of April and May.

However, which Pass will be more economical depends on the total costs of non-discounted traveling in relation to the discounts a certain Pass will give you. If you are planning to travel over longer distances it might even be better to get Swiss Saver Passes. There’s no easy way to tell. If you have an itinerary you can do the necessary calculations using the Swiss Timetable. The FAQ on calculations may be of help. Note that the timetable shows half fare prices by default (uncheck the half fare box if you want to see the non-discounted prices).

I hope this helps you decide.

• The thread ‘Buy tix for others using half fare travel card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.