Buying a Swiss pass at Zurich airport

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2013 at 4:59:27 #806006

Hi!
    Could you please help me with the following?
    I am coming to Switzerland this July and I’m going to buy a 15-day Swiss pass. However, I have some problems buying it on-line (I live in Ukraine and I was explained that I would have to pass a long procedure at the customs to get the delivery). So, I would like to buy it when I arrive in Switzerland.
    1. Can I be absolutely sure that I will be able to buy a Swiss pass at Zurich airport? I will arrive at the airport at 12.00 and I will need a Swiss pass immediately to go to Thun this very day. Are Swiss passes always available at Zurich airport? Do I risk anything if I do not buy in advance?
    2. Will it take much time to buy it? (I’ve read somewhere that it might be long).
    I am really worried about these two points.
    Thank you very much in advance.
    Julia.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 May 2013 at 7:23:11 #838720

Hi Julia, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

All purchase options, both online and in Switzerland, can be found at the Swiss Pass page. Select your country and the desired pass to see the details of all options so you can compare them. It should not take more than a few minutes to buy locally (unless you buy for a large group), although it may be more if it’s busy with other travelers. As you can see on the page, there are many options to buy your pass in advance and get it delivered to the Ukraine. I’ve not heard of problems with customs before; but I don’t know for the Ukraine specifically. If you order directly from the Swiss Railways they’ll have your pass available for you at the airport or at any address in Switzerland such as your hotel, so you’ll by-pass Ukraine customs.

I hope this helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2013 at 2:13:35 #838721

Hi Arno,
    Thank you very much for your help!
    So, if I nevertheless decide to buy a Swiss pass after coming to Switzerland, at Zurich airport, I will definitely be able to do that? Are Swiss passes ALWAYS available at the airport?
    (I am sorry to be so boring with this but it’s just to be on the safe side).
    Thank you.
    Julia.

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 May 2013 at 4:18:48 #838722

Hi Julia,

Swiss Passes do not sell out. They’re always available as long as the service desk is open, which is the case at noon.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2013 at 11:07:21 #838723

Hi Arno, thank you very much for your response!
    Could you please also tell me, are the prices for Swiss passes in CHF (such as shown at your site: buying in Switzerland option) more or less the same during the year or do they grow up at high tourist seasons?
    Is this at Zurich airport itself that one can buy a Swiss pass or should one go to the railway station?
    Thank you!
    Julia.

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 May 2013 at 12:29:28 #838724

Hi Julia,

The prices in CHF usually only change once a year on January 1. It’s the exchange rate and fees that your bank may charge that ultimately determine the amount when purchasing in Switzerland. Zurich airport has a rail station, so that’s where you buy tickets and take the train.

Have a great trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2013 at 2:10:32 #838725

Hi Arno!
    Thank you very much for your help!!

• The thread ‘Buying a Swiss pass at Zurich airport’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.