Buying Swiss train tickets in advance

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 15:10:55 #814536

We will be spending 5 days in Switzerland beginning April 09. We will be spending the 1st night at Murren, 2nd night at Interlaken and the last 3 nights at Lucerne. In between we will ride the full route of Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz.

We have Half Fare Cards and we will be using public transportation system (trains, buses, cable cars etc). We have our seats already reserved in Glacier Express. We now want to buy all other tickets in advance as per our plan.

I am trying to understand if this would be possible.

1) Do the tickets purchased on line have an exact journey date and time or once purchased, we can use them any day any time on that route.

2) Is SBB one single source to purchase all tickets for trains, boats, buses and cable cars ?

3) If we want to decide on the spot that we want to go from Murren to Gimmewald, where do we buy the tickets – at the cable car station with Half Fare Card ?

4) Do we need to carry cash for bus rides or on the spot ticket purchase or credit cards are accepted everywhere ?

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 18:07:54 #877357

Hi srdebnath,

1. The normal tickets do have a the journey date, but not a specific time. So you can use them any time on a specific day.
    2. No. Tickets for boats can be bought at the boat dock, bus tickets can be bought at the bus stop in bigger cities (otherwise from the driver) and cable car tickets can be bought at the cable car stations as well. If there is a ticket vending machine at the bus stop, you’ll have to buy your ticket from the machine.
    3. On every train station there’s a ticket vending machine. When you purchase a ticket you can choose the option that your carrying a Swiss Half Fare Card. You could also download the SBB App. To buy tickets in the SBB App, you’ll first need to register and provide credit card details, and will need internet access to buy the ticket. Once you have bought the ticket, it can be displayed on your mobile device without being connected to the internet.
    4. I actually don’t know if they accept credit and debit cards on the bus. I always pay cash, because my assumption is that they don’t. Especially not in rural Switzerland. I still haven’t figured that one out after ten years in Switzerland.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 19:14:19 #877358

Thank you Chantal. I think I will go ahead to buy train tickets from SBB or STC (Swiss Railway ?) site as my time is not yet confirmed, but travel dates are. I would also carry printouts of the tickets. I will carry some cash too I guess.

My impression was I can purchase point to point tickets on SBB website that includes all connections regardless of mode of transportation (train, bus, cable cars, boats). Now it looks like I can buy only train tickets on SBB.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 8:26:49 #877359

Hi srdebnath,

I see I misread your question. I thought you asked if it was the only source to buy tickets. Sorry for that. You can indeed purchase point to point tickets including all modes of transportation from the SBB website.

• The thread ‘Buying Swiss train tickets in advance’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.