Cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Murren?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2018 at 16:02:00 #814155

How do you get from Lauterbrunnen to Murren by cable car and what will be the cost ? With and with out Swiss flex pass.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2018 at 16:58:26 #875185

Hi Barb and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can get to Murren two ways:

• Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp (by cable car) then a train to Mürren.
    • Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg (by bus) then a cable car to Mürren.

Either way it will be 7-9CHF for a ticket (it would be free if you use a day on you Swiss Travel Pass Flex but if that is your only trip that day it would be a big waste of money to use it).

You can use the timetable to plan out all your trips in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2018 at 18:40:31 #875186

Thank you. We are going in June.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 January 2018 at 2:11:08 #875187

Hi Barb,

From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit (clockwise or anti-clockwise) to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schilthorn if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. All these places are searcheable on the MySwissAlps website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 19:07:11 #875188

Hi Rock,

Thanks for the tip on the round trip—how long would the ride take on this circuit ? We are going to Jungfraujoch and considering Schilthorn the next day—-is it well worth it to see both? The third day will be spent hiking . I was there 10 years ago and don’t want an overload of identical scenery.

Thanks,

Barb

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 January 2018 at 20:30:19 #875189

Hi Barb,

Circuit timing depends on how long you stop in each place and connection time. A quick circuit could be less than 2 hours. You can work out a more precise figure using the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable.

I can’t tell you if you’ll overload on scenery. I wouldn’t! 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2018 at 19:02:51 #875190

Hi Rock,

Is there a place to store luggage for the day at the Lucerne train station ?

Thanks,

Barb

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 February 2018 at 19:58:50 #875191

Hello Barb,

Yes there are lockers at Lucerne Station. You’ll find a map of the station on this page http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/lucerne-station.html

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    5 February 2018 at 2:49:43 #875192

That sounds like a great circuit rockoyster (now known as ‘Rock’ .. maybe soon to be ‘the rock’ ) . I have allocated a day trip from Wengen with just the word ‘Schilthorn’ as my prompt – this would be a great way to flesh out the day and worth using our pass for the day. Thank you!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 February 2018 at 4:19:25 #875193

Hi Sally,

I recommend doing the circuit counter-clockwise. ie start off going from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp. That way on the way back you get a great experience (as long as you don’t mind heights) seconds after leaving the cable car station at Gimmelwald on the way down to Stechelberg. 😱

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    5 February 2018 at 5:16:40 #875194

Thx Rock 🙂 … I had written this up – is this the correct sequence?

Round trip Lauterbrunnen to Lauterbrunen (via Shilthorn and Trummelbach)

The Lauterbrunnen–Mürren Mountain Railway: cableway – 4 minutes – and cogwheel train – 14 minutes. The Grütschalp leaves Lauterbrunnen every half hour – trip to Murren = 20 minutes.

Murren to Schilthorn – cable car leaves Murren every half hour. Journey to Schilthorn = 17 minutes.

Back to Murren every half an hour. Stay on cable car down through Gimmelwald to Stechelberg = 32 mins (Shilthorn to Stechelberg).

Stechelberg to Trummelbach bus leaves every half hour – 5 minute journey

View Trummelbach Falls – the world’s only glacier waterfalls

Trummelbach to Lauterbrunnen (bus every half hour) – 8 minute journey

Thx

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 February 2018 at 6:19:08 #875195

That’s it Sally. Although you don’t stay on the cable car down from Schilthorn at Mürren. It stops at Mürren and you get on another one down to Gimmelwald then swap to another one to reach Stechelberg. From Mürren you can also take a funicular up to Allmendhubel (http://www.interlaken.ch/en/a ctivities-excursions-adventure-festivals/a-world-of-fun-winter-activities/experience-allmendhubel-muerren.html) if you fancy that.

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    5 February 2018 at 7:27:17 #875196

Thanks again Rock … I’ll put that as an option on that day’s plan. Trying to take a leisurely pace.

This is another day trip from Wengen – would you recommend lunch at Kleine Schedidegg or wait for Jaungfraujoch?

Take the cable car from Wengen to Männlichen

Hike Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg

Hiking time: 1h30 Difficulty: easy

Elevation: 2064 – 2233 m Distance: 4.4 km Terrain: meadow

OrPTION: skip the hike and go Wengen to Kleine Schedidegg

takes 25 minutes – leaves every half hour. 48CHF per adult (return)

Train Kleine Schedidegg to Jungfraujoch

takes 36 minutes – leaves every half hour. 128CHF per adult (return)

Train back to Kleine Schedidegg and train to Wengen (and find beer, wine and something to eat)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2018 at 1:28:43 #875197

>> would you recommend lunch at Kleine Schedidegg or wait for Jaungfraujoch?

I’ll just add my two cent’s worth 🙂

First of all, if the weather is clear, I would first go up to the Jungfraujoch, as you never know when the clouds will roll in.

For lunch, I would prefer to eat at one of these places:

• Kleine Scheidegg – at the station
    • Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwaldblick restaurant towards the Kleine Scheidegg end of the Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg walk
    • Eigergletscher, at the station
    • Männlichen, restaurant at the start of the Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg walk

It all depends on where you are around lunch time.

Restaurants at the Jungfraujoch are indoors, and tend to be crowded. You may or may not get a window seat.

At Kleine Scheidegg station, you can eat at outdoor tables if the weather is suitable, with the north face of the Eiger right in front of you. I have eaten there several times, indoors and out, and can recommend it. You might also like to read this post from Kim, dated May 13, 2010 – 10:06 PM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/easy-half-day-walks-in-the-bernese-oberland

At the Eigergletscher restaurant, you can sit out on the balcony overlooking the Eigerlgletscher (Eiger Glacier). You can also watch hikers on the trail below, and see Mürren in the distance.

I haven’t tried either of the restaurants on the Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg trail.

Attached are some photos taken at the Kleine Scheidegg station restaurant (in winter) as well as the Eigergletscher restaurant (in September).

Here are some links for further information, menus etc:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/kleine-scheidegg/kleine-scheidegg-mountain-restaurant/

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/restaurant-grindelwaldblick-2116m.html

http://www.gletscherrestauran t.ch/en/eigergletscher -en.html

http://www.berghaus-maennlichen.ch/homee.h tml

http://www.gletscherrestauran t.ch/en/restaurants.ht ml

Alpenrose

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    6 February 2018 at 6:57:04 #875198

WONDERFUL information Alpenrose. I was disinclined to eat at Jungfraujoch .. I think it will be ‘touristy’ – crowded and over priced. Your suggestions are just what I was looking for! This will be around 1st of September so I am hoping for nice weather.

Jungfraujoch is a short and expensive journey but we are there and feel compelled to go. I have Shilthorn on our list for Wengen and Pilatus, Titilus and Rigi for when we are in Luzern. I may just pick two of the later three, as we only have five nights there.

Thank you 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2018 at 7:40:00 #875199

>> I was disinclined to eat at Jungfraujoch .. I think it will be ‘touristy’ – crowded and over priced.

Not necessarily overpriced! I have found prices in mountain restaurants in Switzerland, even those at the Jungfraujoch and the Schilthorn, to be comparable with those in towns, cities and villages.

Alpenrose

stodgytj
    Participant
    52 posts
    6 February 2018 at 18:16:52 #875200

Along the same thought, does anyone know about the hike from Gimmelwald down to Stechelberg? None of the contributors mentions the hike. Normally they recommend taking the cable car down to the valley floor. Is it an easy hike? We’ll be there in April/May and were considering hiking from Murren down to Stechelberg. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 February 2018 at 21:46:53 #875201

I’ve never done Gimmelwald to Stechelberg either. I don’t think the trail is technically complex, but it is 450 m down, so not easy on the knees. I’d rather walk up. If you add Murren to Gimmelwald to that, it is quite an descent. Not long, but steep.

• The thread ‘Cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Murren?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.