Cable car tickets and pass validation Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2019 at 10:26:45 #820344

Hi

We will be visiting Switzerland for the first time in August staying in Wengen. MySwissAlps.com has been a great tool to help with my planning and I am confident in my choices of hotels, hikes and rail passes etc,

so just a couple of questions if I may.
    We are purchasing the B-O Regional pass and understand we will need to show this at the cable car station in Wengen in order to get our tickets up to Mannilichen and would like to know if we will be given a return ticket or do we have to do the same again from Mannilichen back down.

Having never been inside a cable car station is there a queuing system or is it a big rush to get on like on trains.

Finally (and I apologise as its probably been answered a million times) will our B-O Regional Pass be validated when we receive it by post or do we still need to do this in Zurich when we arrive.

Many Thanks. David

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2019 at 13:00:03 #906238

Hi David,

Welcome to MySwissAlps. Nice you’ve planned a visit to Switzerland. And even nicer to hear you’ve found good support on our page so far.

Regarding your questions.
    You will not need any additional ticket with the Regional Bernese Oberland Pass, you will be able to simply use the cable car. Check the validity of your pass on the map in this link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and/validity

I can’t speak of personal experience in this case but normally the base stations of cable cars in Switzerland have a quite clear and efficient queueing system.

No, you don’t have to validate your pass, just carry it on you, together with a passport and present it when requested.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and/howtouse

To find out about detailed travelling times during your stay use this helpful timetable link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Hope this helps you.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2019 at 13:34:10 #906239

Hi Steph

Thanks for that.

I know the B-O pass gives me free travel on the Wengen cable car when I show it at the station, but do they then give you another ticket to go through a barrier/gate. I thought I had read this somewhere but I may be wrong. ManyThanks…again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2019 at 2:03:43 #906240

It depends on the operator. Most will be a case of showing the ticket but occasionally you may need to get a ‘contremarque’ type ticket make a ticket gate work. There will always be staff on hand to guide you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2019 at 9:08:21 #906241

Thanks for that 1960man.

I had hoped to find a Youtube video showing actual passenger transit through a station but its just the ride itself in most cases. Its just out of interest really

• The thread ‘Cable car tickets and pass validation Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.