Can I use my half fare card for P2P tix on SBB now

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2015 at 10:58:06 #807798

Hi all,Thanks a bunch for all the useful info shared earlier! Sorry It’s me again!I’ve finally bought the swiss travel pass with half fare card combi on raileurope and awaiting the arrival of the parcel – estimated delivery date would be 2-3 days from the purchase date. While pending receipt of the parcel, can I purchase my P2P tix from Zurich airport to Luzern on SBB website now? and select the option under reduction – half fare travelcard? Is this same as the combi half-fare card that I’ve purchased? As there’s no code nor reference number required to be input on the purchase platform, need advice here how to go about it or should i only buy it upon receiving my paper ticket.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    21 August 2015 at 14:01:34 #845576

Hi Ellentan!

Yes, you could buy discounted tickets selecting the “half-fare travelcard” as reduction option. That will result in a 50% discount. But please wait before you buy any tickets. I’ll explain why:

I assume you’re referring to the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi, right? The 50% reduction is only valid in between the first and last free travel day. Arno already mentioned it in your previous post, where he explained the difference between the Swiss Travel Pass and the Swiss Travel Pass Flex. It’s also mentioned at the Swiss Travel Pass Flex page: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpassflex/howt ouse (under “Swiss Travel Pass Flexi Combi” > “Important”). If I understand the itinerary you descibed there correctly, you’d plan to use your first free travel day no sooner than day 2. This means you can’t use discounts for day 1.

So there are two solutions:

• buy regular full-fare tickets for Zurich Airport-Lucerne, or
    • use your first free travel day for day 1 and use discounts instead of free traveling on day 2.

Additional tickets can be bought in advance, but you can also do so once you’re there right before boarding the train.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 August 2015 at 14:59:06 #845577

when you travel, you show your relevant discount pass or card and your ticket. When you purchase the ticket, you will have a ch0ice of 1/2fare or full fare, which will be marked on the ticket. The act of buying the tickets is completely disconnected from the act of buying the pass or even having the pass. The two come together when you show the conductor both.

Of course if you have the full fare covered with a travel pass or the relevant day of a flex combi, you will not have a ticket. Just show your pass.

I cannot remember if/how you have to note/register/validate your first day of travel with the flex combi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2015 at 2:56:16 #845578

Hi Annika,Oh Yess thanks for reminding me on that! I had totally forgotten about it.Okie not to change my plan so I will just buy the individual ticket from Zurich airport to Lucerne. I saw there’s an option to purchase the ticket together with an one day unlimited travel in the city of departure or arrival On Sbb website. does this include the boat ride and all train and buses?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2015 at 3:02:27 #845579

Hi slowpoke,I just realized that I need to pay full fare for my first day from Zurich airport to Lucerne. this cost us chf29 and there’s an option to purchase it with an one day unlimited travel day which price at chf39. Any good idea for this necessary to get the unlimited travel as well? Estimated arriving in Lucerne would be around 3 pm local time. Doubt we can do much with the remaining day in Lucerne. And we will be departing early to murren next day.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 August 2015 at 7:53:29 #845580

<<“Any good idea for this necessary to get the unlimited travel as well? Estimated arriving in Lucerne would be around 3 pm local time. Doubt we can do much with the remaining day in Lucerne.”>>

10 CHF is cheap….even a city bus pass costs more than that. If it really “unlimited”, you could do a short boat ride and return by train…. say, to Alpnachstad or the Transport Museum (return by tram.)

Luzern itself is pretty compact and walkable. If you go to the transport museum, you might want to use the tram or bus. If you purchase a ticket to Luzern, ask if it includes local transport, even before you pay 10CHF extrra. Some train tickets do.

Annika
    7125 posts
    23 August 2015 at 8:21:31 #845581

Hi Ellentan,

You’re referring to the SBB’s City-Ticket, right? For Lucerne, it includes a day pass that covers zone 10 of the local bus, train and tram network called Passepartout. Zone 10 includes a large part of Lucerne’s center. Boat trips are not covered, but it’s still a good deal. That is: only if you plan to actually use urban transportation once you’re in Lucerne. You can download a map from the SBB website to check details.

It really depends on the plans for your arrival day whether or not it’s worth the additional franks. As mentioned, if you focus on the town center itself, you can do all or most of your exploration on foot. Please check http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne for tips. If you’re not sure yet (plans may be weather dependent too), it may be better to just buy a regular ticket to Lucerne and decide whether you need anything extra at the spot.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2015 at 10:24:12 #845582

Thanks Annika! Since I will have very short time to cover the town and nearby attractions after checking in hotel, likely I’d go for the regular ticket. Do I need to buy it in advance to avoid ticket sold out? or it’s okie to get it on the spot? Would the price still be the same at chf29?

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 August 2015 at 12:03:55 #845583

Hi Ellentan,

Regular tickets do not sell out and can be purchased on the spot (see Annika’s first post).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2015 at 16:32:07 #845584

Hi Arno, would the price be the same? Or buying on the spot would be more expensive than buying in advance?

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 August 2015 at 17:31:49 #845585

Yes, the price is the same.

• The thread ‘Can I use my half fare card for P2P tix on SBB now’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.