Car trip road taxes France to Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2015 at 10:12:45 #808212

Hello everyone,

I have my trip planned to Switzerland from France. I am travelling by rental car from France. I have one question:

If I am travelling from France to Switzerland, What all road taxes do I have to pay for crossing border. Please give details about the above, if I am travelling by motorways or without motorways.

Apart from that any mandatory things to be taken care of if I am travelling through car.

Thanking you in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 December 2015 at 8:11:27 #847329

Hi ketaki1991,

Within Switzerland, you only need the motorway vignette: myswissalps.com/ motorwayvignette. There are no other tolls or taxes. Within France you probably need to pay toll a couple of times, but I don’t know details about that.

Everything else about traveling by car is in our car section: myswissalps.com/car.

Enjoy the ride!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 December 2015 at 8:44:15 #847330

Thank you very much for your reply.

But if I am selecting non till free roads. Then also do I have to pay toll or tax?

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 December 2015 at 12:11:09 #847331

There’s nothing to pay if you avoid motorways, car trains and ferry’s. There are a few private roads with toll but these are very rare.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 December 2015 at 23:17:41 #847332

It is not easy to avoid the motorways. The tax ( vignette, carnet) costs about 40 CHF. (See the link Arno mentioned.) If you are driving any distance, the motorways make the trip a lot easier and faster. Time is money when you are on vacation. At least it is for me. 😉

How will you cross the border without using the motorways? Do you know the back roads and border crossings well?

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Car trip road taxes France to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.