Car trip road taxes France to Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
ketaki1991
ketaki1991
4 posts
Dec 24, 2015 - 10:12 AM

Hello everyone,

I have my trip planned to Switzerland from France. I am travelling by rental car from France. I have one question:

If I am travelling from France to Switzerland, What all road taxes do I have to pay for crossing border. Please give details about the above, if I am travelling by motorways or without motorways.

Apart from that any mandatory things to be taken care of if I am travelling through car.

Thanking you in advance.

Arno
Arno
12123 posts
expert &
Dec 26, 2015 - 8:11 AM

Hi ketaki1991,

Within Switzerland, you only need the motorway vignette: myswissalps.com/ motorwayvignette. There are no other tolls or taxes. Within France you probably need to pay toll a couple of times, but I don't know details about that.

Everything else about traveling by car is in our car section: myswissalps.com/car.

Enjoy the ride!

ketaki1991
ketaki1991
4 posts
Dec 26, 2015 - 8:44 AM

Thank you very much for your reply.

But if I am selecting non till free roads. Then also do I have to pay toll or tax?

Arno
Arno
12123 posts
expert &
Dec 26, 2015 - 12:11 PM

There's nothing to pay if you avoid motorways, car trains and ferry's. There are a few private roads with toll but these are very rare.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5550 posts
expert
Dec 27, 2015 - 11:17 PM in reply to ketaki1991

It is not easy to avoid the motorways. The tax ( vignette, carnet) costs about 40 CHF. (See the link Arno mentioned.) If you are driving any distance, the motorways make the trip a lot easier and faster. Time is money when you are on vacation. At least it is for me. ;-)

How will you cross the border without using the motorways? Do you know the back roads and border crossings well?

Slowpoke

Last modified on Dec 27, 2015 - 11:18 PM by Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019