How much cash do we carry on us in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2019 at 19:01:17 #820227

You guys have been so helpful. We arrive in Switzerland from the US this upcoming Sunday. Last question! We will use one of our Chase credit cards for pretty much everything while we are there. I know there are some things that will require cash (busses? etc?). We typically take out about $100 cash at the ATM upon arrival at our international destination to keep on us. Does this sound like enough? I’m assuming most places are equipped to take cards? Don’t want to look like the ignorant American any more than I have to!

• Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 March 2019 at 1:11:41 #905615

<<“I’m assuming most places are equipped to take cards?”>>

Could be right; could be wrong.

This is not Sweden.

Depends on where you are going.

High tourist density means credit cards are mostyl, but not always OK.

I’d carry 300 CHF.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2019 at 5:57:52 #905616

Hello Cldghiorzi,

Hurray, you’ll soon be exploring lovely Switzerland, how nice!

Regarding your question about cash, this does depend a little on your destinations. The more remote, the less ATMs you’ll find, but normally you can find one in each village. Check with your bank for fees.

Most places do in the meantime accept credit cards but it is recommendable to carry some cash on you, as you say. I think the amount depends on the number of travellers, the destinations and the plans you have during your days. Somewhere around 200.- makes sense, to compromise the two suggestions. 🙂

Make sure to check this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfranc

Have a safe journey and a good time in Switzerland.

Best,
    Steph

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    6 March 2019 at 17:53:04 #905617

We always carry cash. Also we have more than 1 credit card in case there is a problem. We had issues in Zurich in late 2017 with our Chase cards–none would work–keep the international number to call handy. The problems occurred at a hotel and a restaurant. At the hotel , we got Chase on the phone and verified that the hotel was processing our rooms incorrectly. At the restaurant we and other non-Swiss patrons had to wait for an hour since none of the cards were processing properly. We did not have any problems in Basel or Zermatt.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2019 at 18:05:48 #905618

Thank you! This is really helpful. We’ll have our Chase credit card and our Huntington debit card. We prefer our Chase since no international fees. But have the other one as backup! We’ll be in Lucerne, Murren area, and Basel.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 March 2019 at 18:29:24 #905619

<<“We’ll have our Chase credit card and our Huntington debit card.”>>

Assuming that they are not chip and pin cards, you will have to sign for every transaction.

See also:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/atmforex-at-zurich-airport

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘How much cash do we carry on us in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11140 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.