Where to change money in Zürich

• jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    17 September 2017 at 3:58:10 #813276

I’m looking for suggestions for the best deal on changing $>SF near the Zürich HB and Central Platz. It is a common recommendation to avoid the airport and use a bank in the city. A few years ago I stopped in a Migros Bank about a block west of the Bahnhofstrasse and got a good rate. The next year I went to the same place and they told me they only change money for their clients (have an account there, I guess). They did have special ATM type terminals in the outer lobby where you could feed $100 bills in and get Francs out. Last year I used the SBB Change office at the HB but I don’t think I got a good deal. I cashed in about $1200 and it cost me about $100. What I usually do is get about 80% of what I think I will need TOTAL including the hotel for 8 days (an 8 day Swiss Pass), spend what I need to during the trip, give the rest to the hotel at the end, except for maybe SF20 for airport trivia, and pay the balance of the hotel bill with my credit card. That way I leave the country without getting screwed at the airport changing remaining SF back to $. This technique also minimizes using a CC with a foreign exchange fee of 3% for purchases. You can really get screwed exchanging SF100-200 back to $ at the airport.

Thanks for any suggestions,

John

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2017 at 16:47:31 #869858

Hi John,

I find the easiest option is to find an ATM and just withdraw money there from your debit card. I haven’t exchanged cash in Europe in years.

I don’t know which banks will exchange money for non-customers I have heard about that more and more. I thought, the SBB office at Zurich train station might be a good option but perhaps I am wrong there.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Where to change money in Zürich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.