Choice of regions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2013 at 14:05:38 #806059

Hello all,
    My wife and I are planning a trip to your Swiss Alps in Sept. 2014. We are both in our sixties and have hiked for many years.

We would like to concentrate on an area with good, moderate day hikes, public transit, and interesting villages without hordes of people. I like to do research and will be reading much over the next year. Any experienced suggestions and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2013 at 18:12:05 #838919

I would think that would be the Bernese Oberland based out of Murren or Wengen. You could base out of Interlaken as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2013 at 19:38:03 #838920

Thanks Bob C.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    20 June 2013 at 9:23:06 #838921

Hello calitrekker,

I completely agree: the Bernese Oberland has plenty of possibilities for hiking (and other things). Maybe these hiking tips and tips for day trips will give you an idea. If you are going to choose for the Bernese Oberland and if you are planning to make use of the public transport, cable cars and gondolas, a rail pass may come in handy.

Have a nice trip,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2013 at 9:56:17 #838922

Thank you Olga.

• The thread ‘Choice of regions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.