Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  choosing rail pass if going outside swiss alps?

choosing rail pass if going outside swiss alps?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Posts: 2
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
1 post
new member
Jun 17, 2015 - 11:51 AM

We are doing the Bernese Alps and Zermatt (via Zurich and Interlaken) but then tacking on trips to Salzburg and Prague as well. Should we just do the regional pass for the alps and buy separate tickets for Austria and Czech? What pass would you buy that covers the Grindelwald/Murren area plus Zermatt?

We are two adults and two children (9 and 12)... Thanks!

6132 posts
expert &
Jun 18, 2015 - 4:41 PM

Hi furmanskil, welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you'll be traveling intensively in both the Bernese Oberland and the Zermatt region, the best choice is probably a rail pass covering the whole of Switzerland, with additional regular tickets to Austria and the Czech Republic. Examples are the Swiss Travel Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card. It's hard to tell though, since it all depends on specifics. This guide may help you to find the best pass.

If you're still unsure, could you provide us with more details on your itinerary in that case? What will be the exact route you're following? How long do you intend to stay in Interlaken and Zermatt, and what kind of day trips do you plan to make?

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020