Christmas Eve and Christmas in Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2017 at 2:29:06 #813808

Hello

My family and I will be traveling in Switzerland for the Holidays. We will be taking a train from Zurich to Lucerne on Christmas Eve. We are staying in an air B&B and are worried the restaurants and grocery stores may be closing early or closed when we arrive (Christmas Eve).

Are restaurants or grocery stores open on Chrismas Eve in Lucerne, Switzerland?

Also, are restaurants or grocery stores open on Christmas Day in Lucerne, Switzerland?

If restaurants are open on these days, does anyone have any recommendations for a good dinner spot? (Please let me know if reservations are needed.)

Thank you!

Tracey

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2017 at 7:27:47 #872825

Hi Tracey, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> Are restaurants or grocery stores open on Chrismas Eve in Lucerne, Switzerland?

I can’t give you a comprehensive answer to this question, but will make a start that hopefully others can add to.

As you are starting off from Zürich, your best bet for groceries on Christmas Eve would probably be Zürich Hauptbahnhof (main station), where the shops are open until at least 18.00. There is a large shopping centre in the lower level of the station.

The Migros grocery store at Luzern Bahnhof (railway station) is also open until 18:00 if you can get there before that time. This store is also in the lower level of the station.

Any restaurants that are open for dinner on Christmas Eve are most likely only offering “festive” dinners rather than “normal” dinners.

There is an earlier thread here that might help:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/xmas-week-in-lucerne-2017-ideas

Other restaurants will probably close around 18:00. The Rathaus Brauerei, for example, which is my favourite place to eat in Luzern, closes on 24 December at 18:00.

>> Also, are restaurants or grocery stores open on Christmas Day in Lucerne, Switzerland?

I don’t know about restaurants in Luzern itself on Christmas Day, but the Migros grocery store in Luzern Bahnhof will be open on 25 December from 07:00 till 22:00, and on 26 December from 06:00 till 22:00.

I have been in Switzerland on Christmas Day on two occasions, and the mountain-top restaurants I have been to have always been open, as have those in the resort villages in the alps where the ski season is underway (as opposed to the bigger towns and cities).

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Christmas Eve and Christmas in Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.