Prevent double charge of Switzerland city tax

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Raylau3009
Raylau3009
23 posts
Jun 4, 2019 - 3:18 PM

I found I charged 3 CHF per person per nite in extra to what is qouted in a hotel booking agent. The agent told that this is the city tax. How can I make sure I will not be double charged for city tax when I check in the hotel?

Arno
Arno
13846 posts
expert &
Jun 4, 2019 - 3:44 PM

Hi Raylau,

Yes, that sounds like city/tourist tax: www.myswissalps.com/ac commodation/touristtax. If you are using an agent for the booking then I assume he/she will get you a detailed invoice that shows what you paid for. You can show that to the hotel staff in case of any doubts.

Raylau3009
Raylau3009
23 posts
Jun 4, 2019 - 6:14 PM

Hi Arno,

You are right, let me ask for invoice and receipt with breakdown details.

Raylau3009
Raylau3009
23 posts
Jun 4, 2019 - 6:47 PM

Just call the agent. They said I can either call them via ip phone or retain any receipt to claim back the additional tax charge. They said invoice is not available

Arno
Arno
13846 posts
expert &
Jun 5, 2019 - 6:47 AM

Hi Raylau,

Hmm, a travel agent should be able to provide a detailed invoice of what you paid for. I would personally be reluctant to pay without a specification. Note that you can easily book hotels yourself, you don't need an agent for that: www.myswissalps.com/ho tels.

Anyway, do let us know if this leads to any issues. Probably not, tourist tax is common in Switzerland and normally included in the bill.

Last modified on Jun 5, 2019 - 6:49 AM by Arno
Raylau3009
Raylau3009
23 posts
Jun 5, 2019 - 12:56 PM

Sure! I will check in by end of this month and still plan detail for where to go.

shabu
shabu
8 posts
Jun 9, 2019 - 8:22 AM

1) Can we pay the tourist tax through chip based card including in mountain hotels?

2) Will I get any receipt for that from hotel?

3) Can I pay the tourist tax advance for the whole day?

Arno
Arno
13846 posts
expert &
Jun 9, 2019 - 3:44 PM in reply to shabu

Hi Shabu,

1) This will work in most hotels, but remote mountain hotels and huts may accept cash only.

2) Yes.

3) I don't know, but I suppose you can if you want to.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019