Coming from Venice: one Swiss destination + Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2016 at 4:19:21 #808634

Hi all: we need some suggestions. We are coming from Venice. We have four/five days in total to spend in Switzerland and we take a train from Geneva towards Barcelona.

We want to see one other place besides Geneva and wondering where can we stop on our way to Geneva. I am assuming we will spend last two days in Geneva. so, that leave two days for another place (has to be on our way to Geneva). Just looking at the map: We are thinking of Zermatt or Lugano or Jungfraujoch or Bern. Naturally, Alpine village is something that is something we want to see. So, Bern and Lugano is less preferred, unless I hear otherwise from you. Lugano of course is not very far from Milan (the train will go through Milan).

Our trip will be in first week of July. We are not that good in climbing and have a 12 year old..so also wondering if Jungfraujoch will be too much for us.

Other questions: for this schedule, should we buy any rail pass?

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 March 2016 at 6:36:18 #849469

Hi fmurshed,

I agree with your and would also pick either Zermatt or a village in the Jungfrau region (Grindelwald, Wengen, Mürren, Lauterbrunnen, Interlaken). Then you’ll be very close to, or in, the mountains. Please see the links for details.

You’ll reach Jungfraujoch by train, you don’t have to climb.

Of course a trip via the Bernina Express and St. Moritz as discussed in your other thread would be perfectly fine as well.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 March 2016 at 2:22:52 #849470

Maybe Luzern?

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

I’d choose a village in the Jungfrau region first, but Luzern could be a close second. Not a mountain village, however.

Easy access by train from Lugano….lots of variety.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2016 at 5:27:33 #849471

Thanks very much for the reply….. unfortunately, the number of days in Switzerland have gone down for the budget reason and that is why I am not considering the St. Moritz/Engadin area.

I have few more questions:

1. Will I need to buy any rail pass or anything like that for Zermatt (or whatever village I ultimately choose) and Geneva?

2. I start from Venice on a early morning train. I shall probably change a train in Milan and will eventually reach Zermatt. Where from should I buy the train ticket?

3. How about the train ticket from Zermatt to Geneva?

could you please provide some ball park figure of the expense (train and hotel)?

best,

Feisal

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2016 at 5:29:30 #849472

Hi Slowpoke:

Thanks for your response and I know you had earlier responded too when I was thinking about St. Moritz!

best,

Feisal

Annika
    7125 posts
    18 March 2016 at 7:48:21 #849473

Hi Feisal,

So you’ll be spending time in/near Zermatt and Geneva only? How many days? And what exact plans do you have? Such questions are important to answer when looking for a good rail pass. Here’s a start: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass. The Swiss Half Fare Card could be an interesting one for you to consider, but as mentioned, it depends on the details or your itinerary.

Swiss rail passes, such as the Swiss Half Fare Card, are valid from Domodossola when entering from Milan. So you’ll need a regular ticket Venice-Domodossola. Domodossola-Zermatt and the remaining trips will be discounted or for free, depending on the pass you pick.

The timetable allows you to find prices for your journeys. It’s all explained at the “How to choose” page I linked to. Hotel prices vary significantly, depending on the season you’re traveling in, the exact location and the level of luxury and services required. Please visit our hotel pages on Zermatt and Geneva for a first impression.

• The thread ‘Coming from Venice: one Swiss destination + Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.